Wood supplier in MA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I might know him.

My gardener told me: "I get my wood from Galasso Tree from Walpole. They deliver a full truck load which usually is 7-8 cords of wood. You could also try Tree Tech from Foxboro. A full truck load is around $350-400. You can't move the logs, you have to climb on top of the pile and work your way down."

So that's about $50 per cord for tree length logs. At that price, I don't see the point of taking on the difficulty and danger of felling trees myself. $50 per cord is close enough to free for me.

Hey dan I grew up in Walpole on North st PM me maybe I can come up with other leads

heydan said:
My gardener told me: "I get my wood from Galasso Tree from Walpole. They deliver a full truck load which usually is 7-8 cords of wood. You could also try Tree Tech from Foxboro. A full truck load is around $350-400. You can't move the logs, you have to climb on top of the pile and work your way down."

So that's about $50 per cord for tree length logs. At that price, I don't see the point of taking on the difficulty and danger of felling trees myself. $50 per cord is close enough to free for me.

You haven't lived, or died, until you have tried to stand on a stack of logs and cut wood. You WILL get hurt. Only a matter of time. Makes the danger of felling trees look like child's play.

Good luck.

You haven’t lived, or died, until you have tried to stand on a stack of logs and cut wood. You WILL get hurt. Only a matter of time. Makes the danger of felling trees look like child’s play.

What if I have the driver spread out the logs so they're only stacked three high? Would you still consider that a suicide mission?

If there spread out and only 2or3 high its a little safer. The lower to the ground the stack is the safer it is to work on. You'r dealing with logs and a chainsaw so there is always a danger factor to deal with. Becarefull go slow and always wear you'r safty gear.

heydan said:
I found this gentleman: [email protected]

He's offering:

Green wood, cut, split, and delivered -- $200/cord

Tree length, 8 cords, delivered -- $600 = $75/cord

Tree length, 5 cords, delivered -- $400 = $80/cord

Hey, I grew up in Medfield - boy do I miss living there!

I just bought 4 cords of well-seasoned oak, ash and maple for $225/cd. delivered. I know tree length logs sound tempting, but you'll spend well over $500 worth of time and effort cutting and splitting them (based on 5 cord tree length price) vs. buying them seasoned, split and delivered. But maybe it's just me...

I just bought 4 cords of well-seasoned oak, ash and maple for $225/cd. delivered. I know tree length logs sound tempting, but you’ll spend well over $500 worth of time and effort cutting and splitting them (based on 5 cord tree length price) vs. buying them seasoned, split and delivered.

Let's see... you paid $900 for 4 cords of seasoned, cut, split, delivered wood. For tree length logs, I've now seen prices as low as about $50 per cord delivered. So you could save $700 per year (or $175 per cord) by planning ahead and starting with logs.

Is it worth cutting and splitting a cord of wood yourself to save $175? I don't know because I haven't done it but I'm thinking it might be fun to do and good exercise. Actually, I'm sure it's good exercise. Just wondering if it would be fun to do.

heydan said:
I just bought 4 cords of well-seasoned oak, ash and maple for $225/cd. delivered. I know tree length logs sound tempting, but you’ll spend well over $500 worth of time and effort cutting and splitting them (based on 5 cord tree length price) vs. buying them seasoned, split and delivered.

Let's see... you paid $900 for 4 cords of seasoned, cut, split, delivered wood. For tree length logs, I've now seen prices as low as about $50 per cord delivered. So you could save $700 per year (or $175 per cord) by planning ahead and starting with logs.

Is it worth cutting and splitting a cord of wood yourself to save $175? I don't know because I haven't done it but I'm thinking it might be fun to do and good exercise. Actually, I'm sure it's good exercise. Just wondering if it would be fun to do.

Good exercise indeed! In fact, I can pinpoint the exact time and location I herniated by lower discs in my back when I was a teenager doing just that!!!

Even with your calculations at $50/cd in tree length, you still have equipment costs and labor to turn those logs into usable firewood...

Even with your calculations at $50/cd in tree length, you still have equipment costs and labor to turn those logs into usable firewood…

First year equipment costs are $200 for a chainsaw and $300 for a splitter, so less than the first year savings of $700.

Yes, it all comes down to the labor. If you think it's fun, it might be worth it. But it's fun that requires extreme caution because of the risk of injuries like yours and all the other things that can go wrong with big, heavy objects and sharp, high-speed power tools. .

heydan said:
Even with your calculations at $50/cd in tree length, you still have equipment costs and labor to turn those logs into usable firewood…

First year equipment costs are $200 for a chainsaw and $300 for a splitter, so less than the first year savings of $700.

Yes, it all comes down to the labor. If you think it's fun, it might be worth it. But it's fun that requires extreme caution because of the risk of injuries like yours and all the other things that can go wrong with big, heavy objects and sharp, high-speed power tools. .

I hear ya. I'm not lazy by any means, but in "my" case it would actually cost me money to split my own wood versus having it delivered, ready to go. BTW, I do stack, just not cut and split ;)

The commercial firewood processing machines look awfully tempting, however. Unfortunately, it would take way to many years to recoupe the costs...

in “my” case it would actually cost me money to split my own wood versus having it delivered, ready to go

You mean it would cost you money because it would consume time that you would otherwise use for paid work? I was thinking I'd allocate the time to it that I'd have to spend doing some other kind of workout anyway.

heydan said:
in “my” case it would actually cost me money to split my own wood versus having it delivered, ready to go

You mean it would cost you money because it would consume time that you would otherwise use for paid work? I was thinking I'd allocate the time to it that I'd have to spend doing some other kind of workout anyway.

Yes, that's the exact reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.