Wood supply from county park

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
There is a county park in my area that semi processes trees after storms take them down. For example, if a tree falls across a path, they cut it up and pile it up in a certain area, then sell it for 60 bucks a cord.

Due to unforeseen projects coming up (sister in laws entire bathroom remodel project, and her and her sister owning garbage vehicles that needed major repairs), I was unable to harvest enough wood last winter and spring to get thru this season. I do however vow that will never happen again, and I'm working on at least a 2 year plan due to not having enough space to do more and the wife is on board. Luckily I don't have any rugrats to suck up too much time as of yet.

I spoke with one of the rangers at the park, and some of the wood has been cut for a few years. I know wood doesn't dry out as well while still in rounds, but would it be possible some of the stuff is ready to burn this season? I will stick to the faster seasoning species for this year since they let you pick and choose what pieces you want, but I will also be stocking up for my 2 year plan as well.

From what I saw of the piles, they are cut anywhere from 12-20 inches. I'm sure if I can find some ash in the piles it'll be close, if not ready to burn tonight. Either way I'm going to get at least a cord, just curious if anyone thinks some rounds that have been piled up would be under 20% to burn tonight?

At 12 to 20 inches I would not be surprised if that wood is ready to burn. Wood does season through the end grain, it just goes slower and takes longer. Any of the quick seasoning species 3 years old should be ready.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I will be headed there today to get a bed full and see how it goes. I'm grossly short on wood and hope to get some that'll burn soon. Thanks for the quick reply Oldman47.

At 12 to 20 inches I would not be surprised if that wood is ready to burn. Wood does season through the end grain, it just goes slower and takes longer. Any of the quick seasoning species 3 years old should be ready.

I do agree with this.........but...........I find if you can let it sit a week or two after it's split, covered it will be even better. I say this because when I've been scrounging for barkless standing dead, sometimes it'll read at 25% when split, let it sit 10 days, check again and it drops below 20% all of the time, I had one 15" trunk go from 23% to 12% in 2 weeks, I think it's because the moisture the wood picks up from the rain and air is a lot easier to shed then fresh sap.

Reactions: phatdonkey
Thanks TedyOH. I have a bit more to get thru the next week maybe. Either way I'm gonna shoot for 20% or lower. We shall see. Worst comes to worst I can go get more of the sawdust blocks from TSC. They burn, but not like fire wood.

I hear ya - the TSC by me carries the Enviro-brick brand, I was pretty impressed with the burn time....at $3 a 6 pack I'd use them again if need be, 6 bricks burns better (longer) during an overnight burn that the silver maple does I'm burning now, not as hot but longer for sure. My last standing dead scrounge was borderline at best, almost 2 far gone, looks like termites ate half the wood, burns great but leaves 0 coals / no coaling stage, hopefully I have enough good wood to get me through February.

Take wood from top of piles or stacks if it all looks the same. More air to wood on top, unless the workers keep piling more on top.
Go for stuff not too heavy. And the shorter rounds, the 12"
Stay away from anything laying directly on the ground.

Reactions: Oldman47
Status
Not open for further replies.