wood supply who is years ahead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Why is at least a year ahead on their supply

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 4 cords c/s/s. Two have been there since Oct-08 and two since early April. I want 4 more! This wood thing is addicting. No one told me. Does anyone else gaze at their wood piles on a Saturday morning while they are drinking their first cup of coffee or am I the only dork that does that?

7 1/2 cord hardwood split/stacked. 3 cords broken down pallet wood. Another 100 or so pallets left to break down.

I only burn between 2.5-3.5 cord per year so getting a couple years ahead ain't that hard. I just got 7 cord in for my parents so they're set for next year.

I have most of next winters supply split but am in the process of stacking it. I think I have close to 5 cord so far(went through about 7 this winter with what I am hoping is my last fire tonight). When that is done I will be splitting as much as I can before it gets to hot then pick it up again in the fall/early winter for the following season.

Woodsman_WI said:
I've got 4 cords c/s/s. This wood thing is addicting. No one told me. Does anyone else gaze at their wood piles on a Saturday morning while they are drinking their first cup of coffee or am I the only dork that does that?

You certainly are not the only "dork" who does that! I dont wait for Sat morning... I do the gaze thing alot more often! There is alot of satisfaction in those stacks!

I cut in Grand County Colorado. There, the beetle kill is approaching 100% kill of all lodgepole pine over 8 inches in diameter. About 90% of the trees up to 10,500 feet elevation is lodgepole. About 90% of those are over 8 inches (over-mature forest). The state forest service estimates that in that county alone, there will be 56 million tons of dead-standing wood by 2010. And most of it is bound to burn one way or the other. It's a frightening prospect. So come and get it, boys and girls. (Lodgepole is one of the best burning pine species; I wish you all lived close!)

Dexter

179 years IF none gets sold !!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• woodpile.jpg
    woodpile.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 338
I guess everyone is assuming the question in the poll should have been, "Who is," rather than, "Why is."

We don't have all of this winter's wood stacked yet so don't have a for sure total but we should end up with well over 20 cord on hand. It is a mix of soft maple, elm, cherry and ash with just a small amount of oak. Ash and soft maple make up the bulk of it but there is probably 2 cord of elm that is 4 years in the stack. However the count ends up we will end up with at least a 7 year supply cut, split and stacked.

And with the Fireview we burn about 3 cord per year.

I put cutting for this year, and here is some of it. I posted back a few months ago about my neighbor having his land logged. Here is some of what the loggers left me to get.

I am a one man with 1.5 good legs operation. So I get what I can without killing myself and getting tangled up and being worse.

Shipper

Attachments

• hert lane 106_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 106_600_450.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 330
  • hert lane 110_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 110_600_450.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 336
  • hert lane 108_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 108_600_450.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 333
jdinspector said:
9 months and it has always been "good enough" dry. 1 year and it's "for sure". I hear people talking about 18 months to dry oak and wonder why so long? Is it that much dryer here in IL?

If you think that the oak is "good enough" after your normal time frame, let a little sit for the 18 months that you hear about. You won't believe the difference in burn characteristics from 9-12 month seasoned to 18 month seasoned White Oak. It took me awhile to realize this, but I leave all oaks to season for 2 years. Its the gold standard of firewood.

Of course, being in the good ole mid-west you also have the platinum of firewood available.....osage orange. YeeeHaaawww!

NAMELESSLEE said:
179 years IF none gets sold !!!!!!!!!!
I thought we were talking about cut/split/seasoned in that order?

jdinspector said:
Chief Ryan said:
About 7 to 8 cords. Yellow birch, Red oak, Locust, soft maple, walnut, sassafras, pitch pine and a few rounds of something i have no idea what it is. I'll post pics.

Not meaning to hijack this thread... For woodstock fireview owners that burn 24/7, how much did you burn this year? I ran over 5 cords with my old VC stove, but am thinking I might cut my use by 1/3 or so. I'm thinking 3.5 cords max.

That leaves me at 6 cords c/s/s. Oak, ash, hard maple and a little bit of elm. About 1/2 has been c/s/s since November 08. I wonder about my oak though (about 1/2 of my wood is oak). I've always found that it drys pretty quick for me. 9 months and it has always been "good enough" dry. 1 year and it's "for sure". I hear people talking about 18 months to dry oak and wonder why so long? Is it that much dryer here in IL?

I burned less then 3 cords this year. I've been burning since Oct at night. 24/7 since Nov to the end of Feb. At night only through March. And only a few nights in April. Great stove. This is my first year and i love it.

Here is a pic of my stash. 4 down, 4 to go...

Attachments

• IMG_3614s.JPG
    IMG_3614s.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 454
We don't use wood as our primary heat source. Rather, we use it to supplement and offset the amount of oil we use both in our home and in the studio space over the garage. We typically leave all the zone thermostats set at their lowest settings and use the stoves to "take the chill off" and keep the spaces they heat cozy.

At present, we have enough firewood, split, stacked, and seasoned for two winters. We have another 2-maybe 3 cord in 4' lengths or rounds ready to be split. And there are several smallish trees that we would like to cull to open up the surrounding "woods", and improve the condiltions for other trees.

We burn a cord/cord and a half in the house. I've not used the stove in the studio very much, but suspect that fired regularly we'll be in the 2/2+ range for the season.

ansehnlich1 said:
.....always cuttin' and splittin' at my place

beautiful picture!!!

here's mine

figure 6 cord 3 from last year and 3 in the spring

wood001-2.jpg

then maybe one cord in misc piles

wood002-3.jpg

then yesterday's work that i need to stack (should be 2.5)

wood003-3.jpg

All these pictures are just making me itchy to get out in the woods! It needs to stop raining!

I have 1-1/2 full cords of mixed hardwood (mostly cherry and hard maple) and 1-1/2 cords of pine/spruce that will be two years dry by this fall. Looking forward to using more of the pine/spruce for the shoulder seasons - I burned a little of that this spring and it seemed to do all right. I somewhat struggled this winter with not quite seasoned wood, but overall, it was pretty good. I have a better wood supplier than most, I think (took first delivery the previous May, burned this last fall and winter).

My father-in-law and I are working on getting the hickory bucked and split. Hope to have 2+ cords of that stacked and drying by the end of Memorial Day weekend.

Not burning full-time just yet - this is for a home that my wife and I are at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time in the winter. I'll probably use 2/3 of what I have available for next year, or all of it if it is a really cold winter.

I used about 5 cord this year and have had next years wood stacked since last spring 6 cord of mostly red oak and maple. I have about 8 cord of maple and oak logs to process by June for 2010. 2 cord of misc hardwoods that I cut down a few years ago from the yard but never split. I have 4 big pitch pines that will be taken down next week. It should net 1 to 1-1/2 cord. I will stack this seperately for shoulder season burning. So I should have about 15 cord stacked in the back. I hope to get it all done by June so I can enjoy the summer.

I went into my woods yesterday and the insects nearly ate me alive. I won't be cutting wood again until September. :down:

I answered 2 years but am set for 2010/11 with a good start on 2011/12 (all elm) but am just getting started on 2009 (standing dead elm) A little backward I know but it just how it has been working out.

We always burn "3rd-year wood" - 3 summers of drying before burning. Burn about 5 cords of aspen/yr, start each fall with 15-20 total cords on hand, rotate the wood draw around the stacks in the woodsheds.

jebatty said:
We always burn "3rd-year wood" - 3 summers of drying before burning. Burn about 5 cords of aspen/yr, start each fall with 15-20 total cords on hand, rotate the wood draw around the stacks in the woodsheds.

Do you have any pictures of what 15-20 cords looks like? That would make my mouth water...

Status
Not open for further replies.