Wood that should NOT be burned, species to avoid.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nojo said:
KarlP said:
Anything over $150/cord. ;-)

I cant find anything under 220 a cord!!!

I can't find anything even approaching $100 a cord....

Anyway, what about peach pits? I've got peach trees, and I probably end up with 10 or 20 gallons of peach pits in a season. Can I burn them? What about black walnuts?

I had a branch fall off a flowering pear tree two summers ago, and it burns nice. That's mainly what I've been burning, along with some maple and oak.

Find an Amish family for your Wallnuts. They buy all of mine. There are people that drive up and down the roads in the fall picking up all of the nuts that are laying around. I think I have gotten as much as $100 and I did nothing, but say go ahead and pick em up.

hareball said:
Not a single Pine has passed through the doors of my stove in it's entire life. Nobody here even cuts it. When a plot of land is cleared the pine goes right in the shredder. Even growing up and having parties out in the woods we didn't throw pine on a fire. :)
I guess if it's all you got then thats what your gonna burn though. I'd love a nice mix of hardwoods but 95% of my dellivered wood is oak.

Its kinda funny though. The places that have the longest and coldest winters usually only have Pine and Spruce to heat with.
Id figure that if the Oak was so mighty, then why is it so wimpy that it cant even exist up here? Id say it doesn't even deserve to be stove worthy. :lol: Nice Avatar by the way. Cheers.
N of 60

north of 60 said:
hareball said:
Not a single Pine has passed through the doors of my stove in it's entire life. Nobody here even cuts it. When a plot of land is cleared the pine goes right in the shredder. Even growing up and having parties out in the woods we didn't throw pine on a fire. :)
I guess if it's all you got then thats what your gonna burn though. I'd love a nice mix of hardwoods but 95% of my dellivered wood is oak.

Its kinda funny though. The places that have the longest and coldest winters usually only have Pine and Spruce to heat with.
Id figure that if the Oak was so mighty, then why is it so wimpy that it cant even exist up here? Id say it doesn't even deserve to be stove worthy. :lol: Nice Avatar by the way. Cheers.
N of 60

The Oak, like most humans desire warm sunlight more than 2 months in a year!!

Hey, north of 60

I'd be willing to bet that the bur oak would thrive up there. They just haven't had time to arrive in the short interglacials we've been having lately. Why don't you plant a few or sow some acorns so that in a few hundred years we'll know who won? :)

EDGE said:
Hey, north of 60

I'd be willing to bet that the bur oak would thrive up there. They just haven't had time to arrive in the short interglacials we've been having lately. Why don't you plant a few or sow some acorns so that in a few hundred years we'll know who won? :)

You send them and I will plant them. Right after the frost is gone, so this means there is no rush. ;-)

You may be thinking I won't, but I will. We had a very poor acorn yield this fall, but some years you can't take a step without having them crunch underfoot. If we have average weather we should have a good crop this summer. You send me a private e-mail with your address and a reminder in mid-August, and I'll ship you up a bunch, along with sowing instructions.

Can't say as there is any species of tree in my neck of the woods that I would not burn . . . short of the wood being too punky or too unseasoned. Hardwood, softwood . . . it all goes into the fire if I come across it. I try not to discriminate. ;)

wood is just too cheap to burn junk ..i dont waste my time with pine or softwoods unless maybe its the hemlock i get from the amish down the road . 15 bucks all cut in perfect stove length and size neatly stacked in my silverado ,kinda hard to beat for occasional use to start fires and such ,but yeah most of the prized wood you guys out west use is not even suitable for campfires here in fact most tree services local to me take conifers and poplar to the landfill becuase no one will want it

Status
Not open for further replies.