Wood thief - again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
precaud said:
Thanks CT. Yup, that is the bottom line.

Oh, and speaking of reality... good luck with the live-in MIL! :)

Thanks Precaud. She spent the summer with us, and next week I fly to Fla. to move her up for good! Thank goodness she's energetic, helpful and not a busy-body!

CTburns said:
precaud said:

Thanks Precaud. She spent the summer with us, and next week I fly to Fla. to move her up for good! Thank goodness she's energetic, helpful and not a busy-body!

Could always have her guard the wood pile and might as well split some rounds while she's there.

wahoowad said:
My plan is to sneak outside and 'accidentally discharge' either my .357 or 12 ga. in the air and scare the living chit out of whoever is there. Give em something to think about for the future.

In some areas that's frowned upon. A couple years ago we had some kids riding 4 wheelers thru the yards and my neighbor 2 doors down shot in the air as the kids happened to be riding thru his yard. After the police showed up he got to go downtown for the evening a 500.00 I think fine and the kids got a "stern" warning there's justice for you.

Tony H said:
CTburns said:
precaud said:

Could always have her guard the wood pile and might as well split some rounds while she's there.

She's as alert as a Shepheard and I have threatened her with helping me split wood before. She thought I was serious and was ready to help. To her relief, when she got dressed for the job, my wife told her that it was just a joke! She immedediately went to workd on the gardens and lawn, that are her two true loves!

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
My first instinct is always to knock the guys block off. This instinct was put to the test when I got into it with a guy who was continuously speeding down my street. Finally one day I saw him coming and rolled my kids (unmanned) "big wheel" out in front of his speeding car. He stopped and was acting like a tough guy. I got in his face and "begged" him to please take the first shot. Of course, he didn't. It took every fiber of strength in my body not to give him a smack. Afterwards, with the counseling of my wife, I thought of how stupid it was because I was the one with everything to lose and the dirtbag in the car probably had nothing to lose. Now my policy is not to get worked up and call the cops, in my small town, they have nothing else to do anyway. They respond in minutes. Tough to do when you have the testosterone flowing, though. Shooting him in the butt may be an option "out-west", but in New England, I'd be going to the state pen for a little vacation.

Just an FYI: A guy in a neighboring town had almost the exact same confrontation with a constant speeder. Only problem was this guy went home, got his shotgun, drove back, and shot and killed the guy right in his front yard--with his wife and two kids watching. Turns out the shooter had just come home from Iraq 2 months earlier and he was having problems......

NP

CTburns said:
Birdman1 said:
Never confront a thief without some type of defensive weapon(GUN).

Use of force: You have a right to use force to protect your person or property, you can escalate "up to and
including deadly" that force as needed to overcome the person you are trying to detain.
You are not obligated or required to retreat in any way. This is not England.

Pepper spray is good stuff, as it is not a weapon, it is a natural agent as long as it is O.C. spray,
(Oleoresin Capsicum) and is, again not a weapon.

Things to remember for use of force are statements along the line of "I was in fear for my safety","I felt threatened"
these are your friend when it comes time to fill out the police report.

Most important is, use of force is usually judged on the opinion of what a reasonable person would do under your circumstances.
So if you do not think it is justifiable(in whatever amount) you are probably right.

As far as not tracking the license plate because it was registered to a car and not a truck. I call bulls&%@, unless they told you the
plate was stolen, then the pick up the dude was driving is probably sitting in front of the house that the plate was registered.
Prolly just took it off one of his other cars or such.

Prolly handled it the best way out of any though, cause the cops are too lazy to track the dude though the reg. or can't cause it's a
hot plate. Cause this guy could come at you for revenge from a hundred directions at once and you would have no way of gettin back at him cause he
is now a ghost.

You think they would go lookin for a vehicle with stolen plates. could be the next Ted Bundy for Christ sake.

Lots of great points Birdman, but I found putting a little bit of fear into somebody usually goes a long way. If this guy was a hard-core bad ass, he would have put the fear into the homeowner. Either way, calling the cops first is the best way to handle it.

I agree putting a little fear into somebody could go a long way, and also give them the right to use force if you put too much into em'
all that is needed to use force is a perceived threat.

calling the cops, Yep, thats what I meant when I said that Precaud "Prolly handled it the best way out of any though" sorry if it was not clear the way
I typed it.

We could take a look at this in a whole different light. Perhaps a welfare like situation. Since this man doesn't have enough wood of his own, and since we have so much, shouldn't the government have come and taken some of our wood and given it to this needy wood burner? Isn't he ultimately the victim here? Why should we have so much wood while he has so little? Shouldn't the top 20% of wood collectors be forced to give up some of their wood to the bottom 20%?

........and this was a total joke.....I hope someone laughs......even on a typically very liberal forum.......smile!

Typically liberal? What forum you on?? :)

This is all very interesting to read thru, tho.

I'm not a gun-owner (at the moment) nor do I plan to become one any time soon. We live in a packed little ancient neighborhood - lots of houses and kids all nearby. I couldn't possibly take the risk of discharging a firearm - even a pellet gun - on my property without fear of having a stray projectile hit someone or something unintended, and with dire consequences.

But we're all gone during the day. And I got 10+ cord stacked out back sitting unattended. Kinda... inviting... one might say. :-/

I'm thinking the best route is probably a simple security-cam system, so i can monitor the whole house, including the stacks and the driveway, whether i'm upstairs or an hour away...

Funny thing is if a neighbor and i got to talking about burning, i'd GIVE them a handful of my good stuff to try, just to compare notes! But come and take one split without askin? I feel like I'd be chucking hammers or running down there w/ a Louisville Slugger in hand. But in reality, calling the cops is the best route. Way too much to lose compared to the d*ckhead who has nothing better to do than swipe a buncha pieces of dead tree.

Remember the thread, "Ask Before You Cut," posted last spring? Our friend JDSJ8 handled that pretty well and we all got our chance to groan about the situation. Posts like these can be cathartic! :coolcheese:

Beatingt he snot out of the weasel might be gratifying and good for the weasel too, but it gives the weasel some leverage on you.

If I saw this in my front yard. I hope I'd walk up, snap a picture of him and his loaded truck with my cell phone and use same phone to call the cops.

Then you could talk.

While everyone here loves the 12-gauge idea, the dog is probably the best bet - it'a good deterrent, and the cleanup work is probably a lot less than moving a wood stack. I know we have 3 and have never had a problem (and they keep the coyotes away from the goats too). Probably the least likely to end you in trouble with either the law or the bad guy. Oh, and FYI, you ARE required to retreat to safety in some states; not every state follows the "No duty to retreat" rule. On the other hand, if someone breaks in the house I've got a big plastic bag and a bottle of bleach so he'll be all ready to go when the cops arrive...

I carry a Taurus pt145 everywhere legal. It's a pity that the odds are getting so high to meet up with some dirtbag that wants something you've got. Defense of myself and my property isn't a right disbursed by some politician. It's a natural fundamental right. I wouldn't go out and shoot the guy, but I would go out with my gun drawn and disable his vehicle until the authorities got there. If he ran then he would just lose his truck and I'd let him flee. If he decided to try and make an aggressive move then he'd end up with 10 .45 caliber holes. I just don't understand people going out and confronting an obvious criminal (in a criminal act no less) with nothing but his private parts in his hand to defend himself. Not me, I care way too much for my life and my family's life. And as some say... firewood today, your shop later, after that your home. Who knows maybe your daughter or wife if they feel like it later. Capitulation always leads to more bad stuff. If you don't feel comfortable getting a conceal and carry license and carrying all the time then at a minimum get a little single shot 12 ga shotgun and keep it in your closet for times like this.

LLigetfa said:
burntime said:
I like the saying I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6...
Not to dwell on spelling but then is a when word. By that it would mean you got the death penalty.

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Hmmm, shouldn't that actually be "grammar"? Spelling would be "thrn", grammar would be "then vs than". ;)

Sorry... :cheese:

bren582 said:
I second the dog method if you have one so inclined... Thinks everything is a game.. including scaring away intruders

My woodpile is under 24 hour canine guard

IMG_0346.jpg

Touché

If spelled with an E in that context rather than an A, then yes, it is grammar.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

How Does a Spelling Bee Work?

peterc38 said:
bren582 said:
I second the dog method if you have one so inclined... Thinks everything is a game.. including scaring away intruders

IMG_0346.jpg

Goofy dogs.
The wood pile is BEHIND you. You're on the DIRT pile.
However, they do look alert.

Dave
Well, that's one way to get the post count up.

PETER! I just saw somebody drive away with 1/2 a cord of your wood!!!! Don't worry, though, your pile of dirt is still there...lol

Yep get a dog, or 2, or 3.
These little ones will chew the intruders ankles 'til the Newfie gets there to lick 'em to death.

Attachments

• IMG_3337new.jpeg
    IMG_3337new.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 303
I think I would have gone out with my two dogs and my shotgun. I do not know if I would have called the cops or not but he would have definitely remembered coming on my property and would have put the wood back with chit in his pants. Not sure if I would let the dogs bite him because they sue you for that. He definitely would have looked down the 12 ga barrel.

PapaDave said:
peterc38 said:
bren582 said:

IMG_0346.jpg

Goofy dogs.
The wood pile is BEHIND you. You're on the DIRT pile.
They do look alert though.

Dave

I'm a dummy, I thought the dogs buried the wood pile :)

Agree with the law or not, but some states have a Castle Doctrine which states you can use lethal force if someone is stealing on your property. I would never shoot someone for stealing wood, but I would pull a gun and make them stay there while I called the cops. Thieves get no sympathy here.

dave11 said:
This sort of thing is amazing. It's almost like these people don't consider stealing wood to be actual theft.

But instead of confronting him, or shooting him and going to jail, why not call the police right away so they could have caught him? Let him happily load up while they're on their way. He'd have also been busted for the stolen plate too. He might have seen some jail time.

westkywood said:
Agree with the law or not, but some states have a Castle Doctrine which states you can use lethal force if someone is stealing on your property. I would never shoot someone for stealing wood, but I would pull a gun and make them stay there while I called the cops. Thieves get no sympathy here.

Not quite true. Castle Doctrine (which is not recognized by all states) deals with "unlawful and/or forcible entry into an occupied home, business or car". It does not apply to your property, land, detached garage, etc. Furthermore, many US states still require you to attempt to retreat even if you're in your own home before using lethal force. And last, you have to reasonably believe the intruder intends to inflict serious injury to the occupants of the home, business or car prior to using lethal force. You cannot use lethal force to prevent someone from stealing property. You can use "reasonable force" to prevent theft. Not lethal force.

Just trying to help keep our hearth.com members out of jail here!!!!! And my last tip...if anyone on this board ever has the true misfortune of having to use a firearm in self defense and their is litigation that follows, any posts out on the world wide web will ultimately find their way into the court room. The last thing you guys should be saying in print is "I'd shoot the guy for stealing my wood". That's going to make it hard on your lawyer. Just my $0.02 for this Friday....

Status
Not open for further replies.