1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood thief - again

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by precaud, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rphurley

rphurley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central/Eastern CT
    Thanks Precaud. She spent the summer with us, and next week I fly to Fla. to move her up for good! Thank goodness she's energetic, helpful and not a busy-body!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    Could always have her guard the wood pile and might as well split some rounds while she's there.
  3. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    In some areas that's frowned upon. A couple years ago we had some kids riding 4 wheelers thru the yards and my neighbor 2 doors down shot in the air as the kids happened to be riding thru his yard. After the police showed up he got to go downtown for the evening a 500.00 I think fine and the kids got a "stern" warning there's justice for you.
  4. rphurley

Loc:
    Central/Eastern CT
    She's as alert as a Shepheard and I have threatened her with helping me split wood before. She thought I was serious and was ready to help. To her relief, when she got dressed for the job, my wife told her that it was just a joke! She immedediately went to workd on the gardens and lawn, that are her two true loves!
  5. Nonprophet

Nonprophet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Just an FYI: A guy in a neighboring town had almost the exact same confrontation with a constant speeder. Only problem was this guy went home, got his shotgun, drove back, and shot and killed the guy right in his front yard--with his wife and two kids watching. Turns out the shooter had just come home from Iraq 2 months earlier and he was having problems......

NP
  6. Birdman1

Birdman1 New Member

Loc:
    Jersey Shore
    I agree putting a little fear into somebody could go a long way, and also give them the right to use force if you put too much into em'
    all that is needed to use force is a perceived threat.

calling the cops, Yep, thats what I meant when I said that Precaud "Prolly handled it the best way out of any though" sorry if it was not clear the way
    I typed it.
  7. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    We could take a look at this in a whole different light. Perhaps a welfare like situation. Since this man doesn't have enough wood of his own, and since we have so much, shouldn't the government have come and taken some of our wood and given it to this needy wood burner? Isn't he ultimately the victim here? Why should we have so much wood while he has so little? Shouldn't the top 20% of wood collectors be forced to give up some of their wood to the bottom 20%?

........and this was a total joke.....I hope someone laughs......even on a typically very liberal forum.......smile!
  8. edthedawg

edthedawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast, CT
    Typically liberal? What forum you on?? :)

This is all very interesting to read thru, tho.

I'm not a gun-owner (at the moment) nor do I plan to become one any time soon. We live in a packed little ancient neighborhood - lots of houses and kids all nearby. I couldn't possibly take the risk of discharging a firearm - even a pellet gun - on my property without fear of having a stray projectile hit someone or something unintended, and with dire consequences.

But we're all gone during the day. And I got 10+ cord stacked out back sitting unattended. Kinda... inviting... one might say. :-/

I'm thinking the best route is probably a simple security-cam system, so i can monitor the whole house, including the stacks and the driveway, whether i'm upstairs or an hour away...

Funny thing is if a neighbor and i got to talking about burning, i'd GIVE them a handful of my good stuff to try, just to compare notes! But come and take one split without askin? I feel like I'd be chucking hammers or running down there w/ a Louisville Slugger in hand. But in reality, calling the cops is the best route. Way too much to lose compared to the d*ckhead who has nothing better to do than swipe a buncha pieces of dead tree.
  9. rphurley

Loc:
    Central/Eastern CT
    Remember the thread, "Ask Before You Cut," posted last spring? Our friend JDSJ8 handled that pretty well and we all got our chance to groan about the situation. Posts like these can be cathartic! :coolcheese:
  10. gerry100

gerry100 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY Capitol Region
    Beatingt he snot out of the weasel might be gratifying and good for the weasel too, but it gives the weasel some leverage on you.

If I saw this in my front yard. I hope I'd walk up, snap a picture of him and his loaded truck with my cell phone and use same phone to call the cops.

Then you could talk.
  11. moosetrek

moosetrek New Member

Loc:
    WY - East of Cheyenne
    While everyone here loves the 12-gauge idea, the dog is probably the best bet - it'a good deterrent, and the cleanup work is probably a lot less than moving a wood stack. I know we have 3 and have never had a problem (and they keep the coyotes away from the goats too). Probably the least likely to end you in trouble with either the law or the bad guy. Oh, and FYI, you ARE required to retreat to safety in some states; not every state follows the "No duty to retreat" rule. On the other hand, if someone breaks in the house I've got a big plastic bag and a bottle of bleach so he'll be all ready to go when the cops arrive...
  12. drdoct

drdoct Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    I carry a Taurus pt145 everywhere legal. It's a pity that the odds are getting so high to meet up with some dirtbag that wants something you've got. Defense of myself and my property isn't a right disbursed by some politician. It's a natural fundamental right. I wouldn't go out and shoot the guy, but I would go out with my gun drawn and disable his vehicle until the authorities got there. If he ran then he would just lose his truck and I'd let him flee. If he decided to try and make an aggressive move then he'd end up with 10 .45 caliber holes. I just don't understand people going out and confronting an obvious criminal (in a criminal act no less) with nothing but his private parts in his hand to defend himself. Not me, I care way too much for my life and my family's life. And as some say... firewood today, your shop later, after that your home. Who knows maybe your daughter or wife if they feel like it later. Capitulation always leads to more bad stuff. If you don't feel comfortable getting a conceal and carry license and carrying all the time then at a minimum get a little single shot 12 ga shotgun and keep it in your closet for times like this.
  13. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Hmmm, shouldn't that actually be "grammar"? Spelling would be "thrn", grammar would be "then vs than". ;)

Sorry... :cheese:
  14. peterc38

peterc38 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine

My woodpile is under 24 hour canine guard

[​IMG]
  15. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Touché

If spelled with an E in that context rather than an A, then yes, it is grammar.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
  16. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    How Does a Spelling Bee Work?
  17. precaud

precaud Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sunny New Mexico
    Great pic!
  18. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Goofy dogs.
    The wood pile is BEHIND you. You're on the DIRT pile.
    They do look alert though.

Dave
  19. PapaDave

Loc:
    Goofy dogs.
    The wood pile is BEHIND you. You're on the DIRT pile.
    However, they do look alert.

Dave
    Well, that's one way to get the post count up.
  20. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    PETER! I just saw somebody drive away with 1/2 a cord of your wood!!!! Don't worry, though, your pile of dirt is still there...lol
  21. PapaDave

Loc:
    Yep get a dog, or 2, or 3.
    These little ones will chew the intruders ankles 'til the Newfie gets there to lick 'em to death.

Attached Files:

22. Hurricane

Hurricane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I think I would have gone out with my two dogs and my shotgun. I do not know if I would have called the cops or not but he would have definitely remembered coming on my property and would have put the wood back with chit in his pants. Not sure if I would let the dogs bite him because they sue you for that. He definitely would have looked down the 12 ga barrel.
  23. Birdman1

Birdman1 New Member

Loc:
    Jersey Shore
    I'm a dummy, I thought the dogs buried the wood pile :)
  24. westkywood

westkywood Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Agree with the law or not, but some states have a Castle Doctrine which states you can use lethal force if someone is stealing on your property. I would never shoot someone for stealing wood, but I would pull a gun and make them stay there while I called the cops. Thieves get no sympathy here.

25. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Not quite true. Castle Doctrine (which is not recognized by all states) deals with "unlawful and/or forcible entry into an occupied home, business or car". It does not apply to your property, land, detached garage, etc. Furthermore, many US states still require you to attempt to retreat even if you're in your own home before using lethal force. And last, you have to reasonably believe the intruder intends to inflict serious injury to the occupants of the home, business or car prior to using lethal force. You cannot use lethal force to prevent someone from stealing property. You can use "reasonable force" to prevent theft. Not lethal force.

Just trying to help keep our hearth.com members out of jail here!!!!! And my last tip...if anyone on this board ever has the true misfortune of having to use a firearm in self defense and their is litigation that follows, any posts out on the world wide web will ultimately find their way into the court room. The last thing you guys should be saying in print is "I'd shoot the guy for stealing my wood". That's going to make it hard on your lawyer. Just my $0.02 for this Friday....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.