1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

wood truck cords?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by minesmoria, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minesmoria

minesmoria New Member

I have a guy who has white birch cut down last winter selling 1 1/2 cords in a 1 ton dual wheel truck with side rails.

Do you think this amount the rounds will fit its not split.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    A cord is 128 cf . If you were to take a pick up bed and fill it full with "split" wood, stacked you would have to have it fill up to 2" from the top of the cab , sides full and full all the way to the back tail gate and just as high. All square , all full , all stacked and all split and you would have 1 cord . You couldnt get 1 1/2 cords in a pick up bed . If the logs are round and not split you get even less wood . For rounds and to get 1 1/2 cords on a pick up bed it would have to be stacked over 4' above the truck cab front to back , side to side .
  3. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I got hold of a few peices of white birch just a couple weeks ago. It was very well seasoned, and I was surprised how light it was. My take is that white birch is not a high density wood, therefore may not have a high BTU content.

One source I found:

Species - Birch
    million BTU/cord - 25.9 - 27.5
    Weight dry per cord - 2840 - 3650

Second source:
    Species l
    Paper Birch
    Lbs/cuft 37.4
    Weight dry per cord 3179
    Million BTU/Cord 20.3

Not sure the first was the same species of Birch. The second source listed elm as lower # of BTU/cord, but from picking up those peices of birch I have and then picking up a peice of well seasoned elm I'd say birch is lower weight, thus lower BTUs.
  4. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    How's everything up in BC?

What type of truck body does he have on that 1 ton? If standard 8 ft i agree with Roospike..

We got a neighbor in VT who has a ford f350 with extra springs with a complete rack body/bed (slightly above cab)on it and he can probably get that much in there..he uses it specifically for haulin firewood..
  5. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Good point Vintage , a full size dump body could hold that amount of wood . minesmoria did mention "side rails" so the thinking for me was for a standard pick up bed. An actual cord and a half of "dry white birch" would be around ... what ? 3400 lbs per cord so 1.5 cords would be around 5100 lbs . (A little more weight than 1 cord of wet oak. 400-500 lbs more)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.