wood truck cords?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
I have a guy who has white birch cut down last winter selling 1 1/2 cords in a 1 ton dual wheel truck with side rails.

Do you think this amount the rounds will fit its not split.

A cord is 128 cf . If you were to take a pick up bed and fill it full with "split" wood, stacked you would have to have it fill up to 2" from the top of the cab , sides full and full all the way to the back tail gate and just as high. All square , all full , all stacked and all split and you would have 1 cord . You couldnt get 1 1/2 cords in a pick up bed . If the logs are round and not split you get even less wood . For rounds and to get 1 1/2 cords on a pick up bed it would have to be stacked over 4' above the truck cab front to back , side to side .

I got hold of a few peices of white birch just a couple weeks ago. It was very well seasoned, and I was surprised how light it was. My take is that white birch is not a high density wood, therefore may not have a high BTU content.

One source I found:

Species - Birch
million BTU/cord - 25.9 - 27.5
Weight dry per cord - 2840 - 3650

Second source:
Species l
Paper Birch
Lbs/cuft 37.4
Weight dry per cord 3179
Million BTU/Cord 20.3

Not sure the first was the same species of Birch. The second source listed elm as lower # of BTU/cord, but from picking up those peices of birch I have and then picking up a peice of well seasoned elm I'd say birch is lower weight, thus lower BTUs.

How's everything up in BC?

What type of truck body does he have on that 1 ton? If standard 8 ft i agree with Roospike..

We got a neighbor in VT who has a ford f350 with extra springs with a complete rack body/bed (slightly above cab)on it and he can probably get that much in there..he uses it specifically for haulin firewood..

Vintage 181 said:
How's everything up in BC?

What type of truck body does he have on that 1 ton? If standard 8 ft i agree with Roospike..

We got a neighbor in VT who has a ford f350 with extra springs with a complete rack body/bed (slightly above cab)on it and he can probably get that much in there..he uses it specifically for haulin firewood..
Good point Vintage , a full size dump body could hold that amount of wood . minesmoria did mention "side rails" so the thinking for me was for a standard pick up bed. An actual cord and a half of "dry white birch" would be around ... what ? 3400 lbs per cord so 1.5 cords would be around 5100 lbs . (A little more weight than 1 cord of wet oak. 400-500 lbs more)

Status
Not open for further replies.