1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wood type

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jnthuskers, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnthuskers

jnthuskers New Member

Loc:
    East Central Nebraska
    I have access to all different types of wood. Do I, pick the hardwoods and leave the softwoods like cottonwoods, or just stick to the Elms, Oaks and Walnuts, or do I take wharever I can get?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    If it was my choice I would take the hardwoods for sure.. For the same amount of effort you'll get more btu's.. I would save the lesser woods for campfires and maybe some kindling.. Around here we have lots of oak so softwood is not even a thought.. Am I a woodsnob? I guess you could say that but I have better options available.. Maybe you should take some lower btu wood for the milder part of the heat season..

Ray
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    When there is more than you need, take the best and leave the rest. If you can use it though, just take it all.
  4. jnthuskers

jnthuskers New Member

Loc:
    East Central Nebraska
    I was planning on using whatever I could get. I know it gonna be a mix of the different woods. I am kinda greetyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
  5. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    It depends on your tastes and what you are looking for. Copy and past this link to your browser and it will give you a variety of woods with their btu ratings and weight. Personally I would go for the hard woods for the best out put but some people prefer the softer woods. http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm
  6. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Softwoods for quick startup and shoulder season. Hardwoods for the colder days

It's funny, I just hit some oak in my pile (which is rare) and I think I still like burning pine better. Pine does not leave a heaping pile of coals and I can heat the house up from cold start faster (this is a big plus since I do not burn 24/7).
  7. jnthuskers

jnthuskers New Member

Loc:
    East Central Nebraska
    I appreciate all the come backs. This whole site is wealth of knowledge, and I thank everyone who contributes. Even those who are smart A@#$%^.
  8. bsruther

bsruther Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky
    Leave the cottonwood.
  9. Bubbavh

Bubbavh Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NJ Piney
    Me too!! I like to mix it with a split or 2 of hardwood. Pine seems to burn and help everything else burn more completely. Much less ash with it!

Back to the OP take it all but start with the dense heavy stuff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.