Wood type

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnthuskers

Dec 7, 2008
East Central Nebraska
I have access to all different types of wood. Do I, pick the hardwoods and leave the softwoods like cottonwoods, or just stick to the Elms, Oaks and Walnuts, or do I take wharever I can get?

jnthuskers said:
I have access to all different types of wood. Do I, pick the hardwoods and leave the softwoods like cottonwoods, or just stick to the Elms, Oaks and Walnuts, or do I take wharever I can get?

If it was my choice I would take the hardwoods for sure.. For the same amount of effort you'll get more btu's.. I would save the lesser woods for campfires and maybe some kindling.. Around here we have lots of oak so softwood is not even a thought.. Am I a woodsnob? I guess you could say that but I have better options available.. Maybe you should take some lower btu wood for the milder part of the heat season..

Ray

When there is more than you need, take the best and leave the rest. If you can use it though, just take it all.

jnthuskers said:

It depends on your tastes and what you are looking for. Copy and past this link to your browser and it will give you a variety of woods with their btu ratings and weight. Personally I would go for the hard woods for the best out put but some people prefer the softer woods. http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Softwoods for quick startup and shoulder season. Hardwoods for the colder days

It's funny, I just hit some oak in my pile (which is rare) and I think I still like burning pine better. Pine does not leave a heaping pile of coals and I can heat the house up from cold start faster (this is a big plus since I do not burn 24/7).

myzamboni said:
Softwoods for quick startup and shoulder season. Hardwoods for the colder days

It's funny, I just hit some oak in my pile (which is rare) and I think I still like burning pine better. Pine does not leave a heaping pile of coals and I can heat the house up from cold start faster (this is a big plus since I do not burn 24/7).

Me too!! I like to mix it with a split or 2 of hardwood. Pine seems to burn and help everything else burn more completely. Much less ash with it!

Back to the OP take it all but start with the dense heavy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.