Wood usage in 30NC vs BK King model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my 2 cents. If his house is calling for that much heat he may only get 6 hrs out of a load. If the air temp is only 60* in the basement it is much harder to keep the stove top at 600-700 than if the air temp is even 65*. I only get 6 hr high heat burns out of my Liberty when the temps are cold. During the shoulder seasons it will cook us out. As far as boilers go, I don't like the complexity of the systems. Way more components to fail and all working together so if 1 fails it effects all of them. That is why I am going back to indoor radiant heat. The boiler did heat even and completely, but the GW(not the best example) liked about 8 cords /year. My current plan is to add a wood cook stove in the kitchen to supplement the liberty. I think the BK is a great stove and if I thought I could sell it to the management (wife) I would probably have one. (I also only have a 6" chimney) I did look at them, but didn't fit the budget at the time.
Doug

iceman said:
Maybe its just me but your splits look closer to thin than thick..?
May I suggest splitting bigger and making a "overnight" stash
Locust is great wood , try some more experimenting..
When you are reloading I am sure the stove is plenty warm/hot .. I learned that when my stove is hot I can close the air down to about half as soon as I put wood in ... the secondaries burn the smoke and the temp still rises fast, but on a more consistent rise, this allows me to get longer hotter burn times.... because it rises slower but seems to hang out longer at 600+

+1!! Those splits are sized for my Jotul F3CB. make 'em bigger and they will burn longer.

Make your splits big. The 30 will tear through small splits.

My average splits for the 30 are 8"x7" or 8"x8" and 18" to 20" in length.

The ones I split last week for the BK are 10"x12" up to 12"x12" (but wont be used for at least 5 to 6 years)

I would first spend the $ on insulation. ;-)

It will not only make things way way more comfortable in Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter but will drop your wood consumption considerably.

Hiram Maxim said:
Make your splits big. The 30 will tear through small splits.

My average splits for the 30 are 8"x7" or 8"x8" and 18" to 20" in length.

The ones I split last week for the BK are 10"x12" up to 12"x12" (but wont be used for at least 5 to 6 years)

I would first spend the $ on insulation. ;-)

It will not only make things way way more comfortable in Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter but will drop your wood consumption considerably.

X2 insulation makes a world of difference , I need to put MORE in mine and I just added some 2yrs ago

Status
Not open for further replies.