Wood usage this winter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

English BoB

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2014
Brunswick NY
Stacked the fireplace last night for the blizzard of 2015 ( not - thank god ) , took stock of wood in the shed and so far I have burned just over 2 cords of Oak.
Used a little oil three or four times for those few negative nights and one weekend I was away.
So all in all the shed has 3+ cords left.
Wood works for me.

Bob:cool:

Cold nighttime temps coming up the next few weeks. I should be on par to use my 5 to 6 cords this year, but I always have about 20 cut , split, and stacked at all times. I never worry about usage, just my house temps. I like it 74 degrees. I have 2 stoves going in a good sized home. It's a lot of work, but I could never afford to use oil, gas, or electric. I've been burning about 30 years now!

Cold nighttime temps coming up the next few weeks. I should be on par to use my 5 to 6 cords this year, but I always have about 20 cut , split, and stacked at all times. I never worry about usage, just my house temps. I like it 74 degrees. I have 2 stoves going in a good sized home. It's a lot of work, but I could never afford to use oil, gas, or electric. I've been burning about 30 years now!

My experience has taught me that in this area the coldest part of a "regular " winter is now through end of Feb. This will be were the wood really gets burnt.
Hope you escaped the storm.

Reactions: bobdog2o02
I have only used about a cord and a half so far this year. This Jan has not been bad at all and in fact got up to 68 today. I am estimating 3 to 3 and half cord for the year.

Stacked the fireplace last night for the blizzard of 2015 ( not - thank god ) , took stock of wood in the shed and so far I have burned just over 2 cords of Oak.
Used a little oil three or four times for those few negative nights and one weekend I was away.
Wood works for me.

I've burned about a cord and a half of primarily cherry, red maple and Hackberry. Used poplar for kindling and fat wood for starter

I have only used about a cord and a half so far this year. This Jan has not been bad at all and in fact got up to 68 today. I am estimating 3 to 3 and half cord for the year.[/quote

68 ? ....sixty eight ?......6 + 8 = 14......got it.......thats 4 degrees warmer than it is outside here. LoL

Reactions: Mag Craft

That is some funny math there Bob. Good luck.

Well if it was 10* here I would start to feel some of that cabin fever myself. But instead I went and scrounged some elm today that a maintenance crew took down at a golf course.

About 1 1/2 cord so far , its been cold this week and next week should be colder . Snow has really been on the slim side , other than the 60" storm before Thanksgiving , only 2"-3 " here and there.

About half way through the stacks
About half way though the burning season!!!

Four more days and I'll have January behind me. I might go into next fall will some wood left over from this year. That would be a treat.

I am on track to burn about seven this year if the weather pattern stays typical.

We are moving this winter, so I didn't put up any wood last year. I have been getting kiln dried wood from a place down the road. I just picked up my fourth half-cord.

I've burned through about half of the 5 cords I had stacked up for this winter, I started burning regularly in the beginning of November, I replace my stove in mid December so I'm sitting pretty good as of now, Once March hits I get a lot more day time thermal heating from the better sun angle which helps out.

Reactions: CTBurner
Less than 1.5 cords... this Blaze King rulz!

Wood works for me.

I concur Bob. All my 'good stuff' is anxiously awaiting it's turn in the boiler/stove! I'm in Petersburgh over the mountain via Route 2 on Hwy Route 22.

I've burned about 4/5 cord from my stacks, but got through much of December on uglies and branches. So I don't know how much I have burned, but I know I have about 3 1/2 cords left of 2014-2015 wood, plus a face cord of uglies. I'm certain I'll have lots of wood left at the end of the season. I was concerned going into this burning season, as many were predicting a colder winter than last year.

Winter is not over yet.
I find myself wishing (more often now) it was coming to an end.

I will be fine with wood supply. Unless we have another spring (non-spring) like last year.

Winter isn't over, and we are in a cold spell, with continued cold predicted thru February. But we are getting much more sun and the sunwarms the house during the day, so even with the colder weather I find I am not using more wood.

We've had little snow. Hope we have enough rain this coming summer for the garden. We had way too much last year, except in the opinion of the celery, and way too little sun.

Yes, the solar gain is noticeable for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.