Wood usage this winter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was burning very little until just a couple of weeks ago. Now going through wood like crazy. I cannot gauge yet how much I expect to burn but I just hope my current supply makes it through the season.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
So far 2 cord and 1 rick.into some 2yr css hard maple,stuff is awesome

As a personal update a few pics to share,
1 & 2 show how I,ve burrowed into the wood shed, that empty space is approx 2 1/2 + cords. the last row at the back keeps the snow out ( westward facing ) which is how my wood dries so well I,am always tempted to leave to protect the rest from the elements will be used this year as we go through spring. There are 3 cords left in the shed but, this is the real burning season here in upstate NY so I,am still doing well.
3. Is the snow we didnt get in the blizzard of 2015, its over 2 feet and still snowing.
4. Is my old faithful 1956 JD that is my log puller just before she fired up on the third turn ( 6 volt ) in 2 feet of snow and 4 deg ready to clear the driveway.
5. The woodshed from earlier, when oak was waiting to keep me warm.

Bob
Nice tractor English BoB! Is it a 320?

I'm through 2 1/2-ish cords. I'm going to stop when I hit 4 as the wood after that isn't dry enough. I learned my lesson to top cover if you want dry wood. Too much rain this year.

Nice tractor English BoB! Is it a 320?

420W -row crop utillity. Born in Feb 56, 2 cyl and 29 hp with adjustable width options on the rear axle.

I figure I burn about 2 cord a month to heat the whole house ( about 2300sqft, part circa 1790 vintage) with a Sam Daniels hot air furnace. Started burning at Thanksgiving and have enough seasoned wood to get thru mid March or so, then we turn the oil back on.

It's depressing to hear that "O" word

This winter is wimpy compared to last winter. I've burned about a chord and a half in a 3200 Sq ft house in a cold climate. And 140 gallons of LP

Last edited:
This winter is wimpy compared to last winter. I've burned about a chord and a half in a 3200 Sq ft house in a cold climate. And 140 gallons of LP
You are right, even here it has not been as bad as last year.

I'm into it for about 2.5 cords. I am sitting on another 2.5 cords of very good wood. I am hoping that I will have wood left over to start next year. I have another 3.5 cords for next year. I will need to get going once the snow drifts shrink.

just shy of 2 cords for me. so far there has only been 3 good cold snaps (singles at night, upper 20's during the day). i did burn a bit of oil on a few mornings when i couldn't get up though. i would expect that before the end of march i will burn another 2. its very strange though, i can't wait to get the stove going when the temps start dipping at night in the fall... can't wait to shut her down come spring.

Pretty cold in the northeast, temps below 0 a couple nights and the wood is going fast. In the worst of it now.

Greetings, neighbor. I'll look out at the snow tomorrow. The 4+ cords left are in the garage.

.Just refilled the hearth , got through this cold week. Can you believe the snow we are due over the next few days ?

As an aside - I just reached the 3 cord mark plus 1/8 tank of oil.

.Just refilled the hearth , got through this cold week. Can you believe the snow we are due over the next few days ?

As an aside - I just reached the 3 cord mark plus 1/8 tank of oil.
Like a heat wave here now!

Status
Not open for further replies.