Wood vs Gas stove--help needed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Novice

Oct 26, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hi all,
I am looking for a stand-alone stove to serve as a secondary source of heat for the main floor of my house. I don't have an existing fireplace or chimney. I am trying to find a stove that can heat a 900 sq ft (poorly insulated) space, in a cold Canadian climate. I am also looking for something with relatively low clearances (corner installation), that will operate in a power outage, can be used as a stovetop to heat water or food, with good efficiency, and low emissions.
I thought I had settled on a Pacific Energy Vista Classic wood stove, but then started having doubts about wood vs natural gas. My primary source of heat is a natural gas furnace, and while we don't currently have any burn bans here I'm concerned they may become an issue in future. Also, the clearances are generally less for the gas stoves. On the other hand, I haven't been able to find a natural gas stoves that put out as much heat as even a small wood stove (such as the Vista). And if I opt for natural gas, I don't know what make/model would be a good match for my needs. I prefer direct vent over vent free, but beyond that I don't know which ones are the most reliable and safe. I've been looking at Napoleon (GDS60) and Hampton (H35)...any suggestions???
Thanks!

I don't think you are not going to find a stove that will heat 900 sf that is poorly insulated, so you have two choices.
Insulate the CRAP out of your home first of all. That way, whatever heat you put into your home will stay there.
Your second choice is to block off those areas that do not need to be as warm as others.
Then, do more research, & get the highest rated BTU stove that you can afford & that meets your installation requirements.
I'm a firm believer in the "Bigger is Better" credo when it comes to heat sources. You can always turn them down or off - if you get too warm.
HTH.

Reactions: [email protected]
Status
Not open for further replies.