Wood vs oil pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dh1989

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2014
East Bay Rhode Island
At the current heating oil prices I will be shutting the stove down once I run out of my pile of scrap mill ends, unless I can get my hands on more. I have 3 cords of hardwood firewood dried and ready to go (purchased at $260/cd) but they are not worth burning right now. If you buy firewood as an oil heat alternative I would recommend reconsidering at this time. I was quoted $1.59/gal for oil today. Oil futures set a new low today, so I expect the price to fall further very soon:
Screenshot_12162015_05_59_06_PM.png

Wood bricks (Hot Bricks) and pellets are priced from the nearby dealer and I factor in the cost of gas for me to haul them with my truck if I bought them. Firewood is price as delivered. I don't have gas (quoted $12k for a line extension) or a pellet stove but am always curious where everything else compares to my wood and oil costs. The mill ends I get for free from a mill about a half hour away and that is my cost in gas to haul them home in my truck (about 1/2 cord a trip).

I scrounge for wood, or have a Tree Service that will drop Log Length if I call, so my only cost is a little gas, and some of my time. We are low on wood (again), and I've been asking the Wife to use the Oil being it is sooooo cheap, but she likes the wood, and is burning what we have, and when we run out, I'll catch h*ll. The temps here have been mild, and we have already burned a cord......on my way from work the other day, truck was reading 52*F, I got home, and the house was at 80*F and the bedroom was at 77*F, and the woodstove was blazin' away. Wood is cheaper for us, but at this time, I'd rather burn Oil

If I could, I would be burning oil and saving the wood. Take advantage of the cheap heat, it wont last long. I scrounge my wood and have plenty, but that's whats great about wood you can store it forever.

when it chills out, i'll burn what I got. unlike the last two years ,if it's a little chilly in the am the boiler will be fired up. price on ave. now down almost $2.00 from 2013-14. new boiler in house, I'm lookin at about almost $2k in savings
. Merry Christmas and Happy Hdays to all

Good thing about this is if this weather sticks around wood will be much easier to get our hands on next spring. Seems the more mild the winters the easier it is to get hands on firewood the following year. I hope winter takes its time showing up just that much farther ahead for coming years

Reactions: Roundgunner
Status
Not open for further replies.