Wood vs pellet conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Can anyone point me to an online BTU calculator of Hardwood vc pellets etc? or, can someone tell me what one ton of pellets equals to split wood?

I just recently switched from wood to pellet. i burned 2.5-3 cords fo wood, mostly oak, alder and apple, to heat my house. I burned just shy of 1.75 tons of pellets last year.

I read somewhere that 1 ton of pellets was roughly equal to 1.5 cords of hardwood. Guess it would depend on type of hardwood.

that s about what I am figuring..between 1-1.5 cord. however, I dont think that the BTU ratings per each are even close..I think wood comes out on top there.
Not saying that I am switching to pellets, no way no how, just I have people ask me that all the time in the wood business

I too read that but I think because the pellet stove is set to a thermostat to control the temp, more like a furnace it uses less tonage then compared to cord wood. I could be wrong but these are just my observations

very good point. definatly regulated better.

Status
Not open for further replies.