Wood vs Pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're looking for Sedore Stoves. A crude comparison seems it's the goat of multi-fuels. I couldn't find the thread either.

Andre B. said:
Marty S said:
Maybe it was this one:

"Problems with Low Power Setting (earth stove pellet)"

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6497/

or, maybe this one:

"Why Didn't My Pellet Stove Stay Lit?"

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6533/

Go for a real wood burner, man!

Aye,
Marty

No, it was back around December.
I think the name of the stove was in the thread title, Sedor or something, I am not finding any stoves like it at the moment.
Wishing I had put the link in my bookmarks. :(

Thanks everyone for all the input. I guess to each his own. Bottom line as I see it, no matter which stove wood/pellet, we all have different needs/personalities and situations. Thanks again, and safe burning to all.

Marty S said:
Andre B. said:
BeGreen said:
Less than a bag a day is what I'm guessing. But I am assuming there is a driveway. Problem is that it is small enough to preclude a decent sized stove. That means constant feeding of a small wood stove. If the cabin has backup heat, then I'm all for the wood stove. But if it doesn't then the pellet stove seems soooooo much more convenient and appropriate. The choice also depends somewhat on how much time is spent in this cabin. Is this a primary residence or secondary?

There are some hopper feed wood stoves that can burn for long times at lower outputs. There was a post not long ago on one that is still being made but I cannot seem to find it.

Maybe it was this one:

or, maybe this one:

Aye,
Marty

hmmm....maybe it could be one of these? :

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6605/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6602/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6526/

UncleRich said:
I think you're looking for Sedore Stoves. A crude comparison seems it's the goat of multi-fuels. I couldn't find the thread either.

That was it.
I think this was the thread I was thinking of.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3680/

Found some more posts.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/30343/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/69263/

And the site for the stove.
http://www.sedoremultifuelstoves.com/

I have always wanted to try a stove of that design.

I like the top-down burning. It's a bit like a gasifier furnace. But they could use a bit of help in the exterior design. They are not the nicest looking stove on the block. It would also help for them to go to a 6" or 8" stack.

Let's get real. Wood is cheaper only if you have a supply of wood, otherwise it varies.

Pellets produce less ash, fewer harmful emissions, and burn more efficiently.

Wood requires more space and more effort.

latichever said:
Let's get real. Wood is cheaper only if you have a supply of wood, otherwise it varies.

Pellets produce less ash, fewer harmful emissions, and burn more efficiently.

Wood requires more space and more effort.

Yea. That's part of the story.

The other part is pellits look like rabbit chit but are man made. You'd think a man wouldn't make somethin' like what a rabbit would but, it's not so.

Then too, their mfg quality control varies greatly which means some folks pay good money and get chit for it. Pardon my language, please. But this hits a nerve.

If pellits burn, they burn clean and don't require a chimney because they don't put out much smoke or heat. I remember my Grandma used to say, "Where there's smoke, thare's fire." Well, this just doesn't speak kindly for a pellit stove since it don't even smoke.

Burning those pellits requires energy in, called electricity, and that has to be paid for making costs even more.

Then there's the noise the stove makes crankin' those pellits into the hopper which needs to be dissassembled and cleaned every now and then to keep the stove runnin'. Also, running gears fail now and then which means some folks, when they really need the heat, won't git it. To git'er back runnin', folks have to pay even more in for repairs.

One would think one could keep warmer just by burning the bills paid for the darn stove and the darn pellits and those darn repairs.

But I know they're pop'lar and selling like hot cakes in some places makin' the sellers happier than the buyers. I suspect that's sadly true but just one of those things called human nature. Plus, people are nuts.

Built it and they will come.

Make it and they will buy it.

Mother Nature makes wood. Man makes pellits.

Mother Nature will win every time when in competition with man. Face it. It's that simple.

And, that's the rest of the story...

Aye,
Marty

Marty, what are you smoking tonight?

Wood pellets don't look at all like rabbit poop. Rabbit food maybe, though they're not green. I know, I had rabbits and a pellet stove for years. The two are easy to tell apart.

Most of these stoves just run and run, much like one's home furnace. We see the problems here on the forum, because they're using the forum as tech support. No problem with that, but most of these stoves are pretty trouble free.

The blowers do make noise, but no more than the average woodstove insert blower. And no, the hoppers don't need disassembly. That would be a pretty rare case indeed.

Bottom line, pellet stoves are often a lot more convenient than a woodstove. And not seeing smoke, well that's a real good thing.

Me, I like em both. Each have their strengths.

And that's the way it is. Arrr.

Marty:
You got something going on here? Seems you have a thing about pellets, including the spelling. Well, I can burn here, cleanly when wood is banned, I burn a product 100% natural that is a by-product of wood processing. I have a resource that is totally renewable, and it produces about 8,500 to 9,200 Btu's per pound. That's not ghost numbers, that's heat in my home.

You seem to quote facts and figures until the subject of pellets come up. What's the deal? Were you struck by a pellet delivery truck when you were young? Did you have a near life experience with a bag of pellets, or are you a knuddler? Contribute or get off the pot.

BG:

People read these posts and ofen want an opinion. I gav'em mine. To be clear ("crystal" clear), I like wood but not pellits, no matter what they look like.

You sayin' things like "I lik'em both" doesn't help much if a reader is countin' up opinions on Wood vs Pellits, yea or nay, scientific like. Readin' my post, they know where i stand. Readin' yours, not so. Sounds more like you're in politics, maybe runnin' for local Drain Commissioner or the like. Good luck there, if that's the case.

And, I 'm not smokin'. Cause when I smoke, I burn. And you couldn't stand the heat...

Aye,
Marty

UncleRich said:
Marty:
You got something going on here? Seems you have a thing about pellets, including the spelling. Well, I can burn here, cleanly when wood is banned, I burn a product 100% natural that is a by-product of wood processing. I have a resource that is totally renewable, and it produces about 8,500 to 9,200 Btu's per pound. That's not ghost numbers, that's heat in my home.

You seem to quote facts and figures until the subject of pellets come up. What's the deal? Were you struck by a pellet delivery truck when you were young? Did you have a near life experience with a bag of pellets, or are you a knuddler? Contribute or get off the pot.

Uncle Rich:

First, read the above post.

Now, it doesn't sound like yur a politician, like BG, but it seems yur edgy cause yur sellin those pellits to folks.

Sorry you don't like my posts but that the way it goes sometimes. I don't like yur pellits. So what?

Aye,
Marty

Not politics, I had both wood and pellet stoves going here for 5 years. The pellet stove was our basic heater. It was on a digital thermostat, we woke up to its heat and loved it. When it was too warm to burn, but cool enough to still need heat (a common condition in the NW), we used the pellet stove. The draft for the woodstove might have been funky at 55 degrees, but the pellet stove was happy. When there was a burn ban (often some years) the pellet stove kept us warm.

But we still loved the Jotul and especially enjoyed it's heat on bone chilling nights. I enjoy the exercise, the glow and deep warmth of a woodstove, but it's not for everybody.

No equivocation here, both stoves have their strengths. If you haven't owned a modern pellet stove, why comment on them in a negative light?

BeGreen said:
Not politics, I had both wood and pellet stoves going here for 5 years. The pellet stove was our basic heater. It was on a digital thermostat, we woke up to its heat and loved it. When it was too warm to burn, but cool enough to still need heat (a common condition in the NW), we used the pellet stove. The draft for the woodstove might have been funky at 55 degrees, but the pellet stove was happy. When there was a burn ban (often some years) the pellet stove kept us warm.

But we still loved the Jotul and especially enjoyed it's heat on bone chilling nights. I enjoy the exercise, the glow and deep warmth of a woodstove, but it's not for everybody.

No equivocation here, both stoves have their strengths. If you haven't owned a modern pellet stove, why comment on them in a negative light?

BG:

Because I can. And, I jus don't lik'em. Not to mention the nature and name of this thread - it does imply taking a stand on one or the other: "Wood vs Pellet". So, they're waaayy too mechanical, noisey, unreliable and inadequate in the heat output department for my application and taste.

I admit I take liberties in embellishing my opinions here, but I figure that's not against the rules. Overt bad language, name calling and personal attacks are. I don't go there.

Besides, even if some don't agree, don't like what I type, prefer another style of participation or another way of sayin' things, it matters not to me since I'm just havin' fun here. And there we are.

Aye,
Marty

Grandma used to say, "What makes sense to you, others may poo poo."

hey, marty has absolutely every right in posting his opinions here, as well as all of us.....the problem here, and marty did a good job, I think of pointing it out, is....they are OPINIONS! Hes not a "pellit guy", prefers wood, and thats good. Only problem I have is with pointing out things that are unclear, untrue, or outdated. Many folks come here, and read the opinions, and thinking them gospel. Ergo, my counterpoint:

Wood, nasty wood.

Wood is good, as long as you are in good shape, cuz you wont be soon, blowing out discs, felling trees on yourself, destroying property, etc. If you have lots of time on your hands, and dont really seem to value your time, wood might be for you. Dont forget to add the cost of a chainsaw, gas, a pickup truck, to the cost of your wood stove, because you'll need all of the above to harvest your own. Oh, and its a great fuel for insomniacs, too......you can look forward to getting up early, quite early, and restoking the fire, or maybe getting up later and being able to see your breath as you try to restart the wood stove. Dont forget as well during the Autumn and Spring, when its still a bit chilly to leave the heat off, when you can actually waste heat by opening windows and doors to cool the place off. Make sure both your homoeowners insurance and life insurance is paid up. Homeowners, since youll likely have a chimney fire at some point (if youre lucky, you might not have any danage, if not, you can always rebuild your home, IF you get out), and the life insurance in case you fall off that snowy roof trying to clean your chimney and break your neck. I supposed while youre at it, you probably should check out your health insurance benefits, since you might just only maim yourself falling off the roof, or maybe just maim yourself in your wood processing as well......

Ok, Ok, I know, tongue in cheek, but really not a whole lot different than the opinions in other posts, is it? ;-)

DAMN! after the reading the last few post I'm changing to natural gas. :bug:

Roospike said:

I just shut down all threes stoves, put pot plants on top of'em and plugged in the space heaters!!!

Ok Spike, now we can start posting about which oil filled heater is the king. DeLonghi or Pelonis. Which one will hold more oil, heat the longest, made of the thickest tin, comes in the prettiest colors etc.

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:

I just shut down all threes stoves, put pot plants on top of'em and plugged in the space heaters!!!

Ok Spike, now we can start posting about which oil filled heater is the king. DeLonghi or Pelonis. Which one will hold more oil, heat the longest, made of the thickest tin, comes in the prettiest colors etc.

Actually, this is not crazy. I have a friend who lives alone in a 3,000 square foot house who spends very little on heating. He keeps his oil furnace thermostat in the low fifties--just enough to prevent frozen/burst pipes, and uses a space heater to heat only the room that he happens to be in.

I also know someone who lives in an all electric house who claims that electricity can be cheap heat because, like my other friend, you only have to heat the room you're in.

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:

Whorehouse Red ?

Attachments

• oil_radiator_oil_heater_783.jpg
    oil_radiator_oil_heater_783.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 325
HarryBack said:
Kenny said:
Of course, you could put in one of each.....

Kenny is surely a politician of some sort!

actually , i have both myself, nice to be redundant ;) woodstove 1993 install , only changes were gaskets which are regular maintainance items anyway, pellet was added in 2004, stove has run flawlessly since the day i installed it. im anal about keeping it cleaned out properly which is the biggest factor in whether you have to fix it. take care of stove stove takes care of you , dont take care of it , it breaks , same as anything else.

latichever said:
BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:

Actually, this is not crazy. I have a friend who lives alone in a 3,000 square foot house who spends very little on heating. He keeps his oil furnace thermostat in the low fifties--just enough to prevent frozen/burst pipes, and uses a space heater to heat only the room that he happens to be in.

I also know someone who lives in an all electric house who claims that electricity can be cheap heat because, like my other friend, you only have to heat the room you're in.

I recently decided to give that a try as backup heat. Lowes was unloading DeLonghis for $17.50 apiece two weeks ago. I loaded the back of the Suburban with them and put one in each room of the house. For a whopping $175. The two we already had will be spares.

In fact I am gonna try'em out tonight and see how they work. Load the 30-NC light tonight and sleep till noon tomorrow. With the roof of the house covered in a thick blanket of ice it should be a good test. This time of year our electric co-op gives back portions of profit to bribe us to not change electric suppliers so that will help on the cost of the test. I let the Jotul in the basement die every night anyway and it only gets down to low fifties down there so the pipes will be fine.

HarryBack said:
hey, marty has absolutely every right in posting his opinions here, as well as all of us.....the problem here, and marty did a good job, I think of pointing it out, is....they are OPINIONS! Hes not a "pellit guy", prefers wood, and thats good. Only problem I have is with pointing out things that are unclear, untrue, or outdated. Many folks come here, and read the opinions, and thinking them gospel. Ergo, my counterpoint:

Wood, nasty wood.

Wood is good, as long as you are in good shape, cuz you wont be soon, blowing out discs, felling trees on yourself, destroying property, etc. If you have lots of time on your hands, and dont really seem to value your time, wood might be for you. Dont forget to add the cost of a chainsaw, gas, a pickup truck, to the cost of your wood stove, because you'll need all of the above to harvest your own. Oh, and its a great fuel for insomniacs, too......you can look forward to getting up early, quite early, and restoking the fire, or maybe getting up later and being able to see your breath as you try to restart the wood stove. Dont forget as well during the Autumn and Spring, when its still a bit chilly to leave the heat off, when you can actually waste heat by opening windows and doors to cool the place off. Make sure both your homoeowners insurance and life insurance is paid up. Homeowners, since youll likely have a chimney fire at some point (if youre lucky, you might not have any danage, if not, you can always rebuild your home, IF you get out), and the life insurance in case you fall off that snowy roof trying to clean your chimney and break your neck. I supposed while youre at it, you probably should check out your health insurance benefits, since you might just only maim yourself falling off the roof, or maybe just maim yourself in your wood processing as well......

Ok, Ok, I know, tongue in cheek, but really not a whole lot different than the opinions in other posts, is it? ;-)

Harry are ypu speaking about the burn time of the harman oakwood you mean I have get up an night to feed the hungry beast. Does the burn time suck that bad? I was dead serious when looking at one I guess I'll stick with my Cat stove I know it makes it threw the night and providing productive heat. I can't believe a wood stove dealer dissing his own product. Me If I sold both I would not get sucked into even baited into the arguement I would remain on neutral ground.. And this is from a guy that makes living from selling wood?

Careful Elk. Neutral ground makes you a politician :).

Marty S said:
UncleRich said:
Marty:

Uncle Rich:

First, read the above post.

Now, it doesn't sound like yur a politician, like BG, but it seems yur edgy cause yur sellin those pellits to folks.

Sorry you don't like my posts but that the way it goes sometimes. I don't like yur pellits. So what?

Aye,
Marty

Marty:
Not and industry professional, don't sell pellEts, don't sell pellEt stoves, do heat with pellEts. Don't think they look like any excrements, and I read way too much hostility in your post. When you were a child did a bag of pellets fall off a truck and hit your ice cream cone, ruin your Summer and send you on a path of destruction?

elkimmeg said:
HarryBack said:

Wood, nasty wood.

Harry are ypu speaking about the burn time of the harman oakwood you mean I have get up an night to feed the hungry beast. Does the burn time suck that bad? I was dead serious when looking at one I guess I'll stick with my Cat stove I know it makes it threw the night and providing productive heat. I can't believe a wood stove dealer dissing his own product. Me If I sold both I would not get sucked into even baited into the arguement I would remain on neutral ground.. And this is from a guy that makes living from selling wood?

*sigh*

tongue in cheek, Elk.

As for replacing your cat....why fix it if it aint broke?

And Im certainly no politician! :p

Is this it? http://sharron_reive.tripod.com/catalogue.html
UncleRich said:

Andre B. said:
Marty S said:
Maybe it was this one:

or, maybe this one:

Aye,
Marty

No, it was back around December.
I think the name of the stove was in the thread title, Sedor or something, I am not finding any stoves like it at the moment.
Wishing I had put the link in my bookmarks. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.