Wood Waiter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
http://www.woodwaiter.com/en

The handywaiter, while more expensive (~$4000) goes from one floor level to another. For instance, I could keep my existing setup, which has the wood stored in the garage and me wheeling it to the insert, and, additionally, wheel it to the waiter, and then send it down to the basement near the proposed wood boiler.

Other than price, what do you think?

Reactions: Soundchasm
I want it, just because it's cool, put the cat on it, your wife, it's like a mini elevator...

definitely cool. my wood in the basement is directly under the landing of the stairs going down to the basement. often thought of making that a removeable panel and using a wench or pully setup. but i can hear the wife now, "someone might fall through it, its not safe".

Ive been in a house that had a similar albeit less sophisticated dumb waiter for wood.

There was basically a stone faced cubby hole for wood beside the fireplace, like you typically see with a built in. There was a simple 3'wx2'dx4'h metal framed basket inside that was lowered by electric winch to the basement. There were metal side rails that hung below floor level approx 3' into the wood room and plastic rollers on the basket to follow those rails and guide the basket into the proper place inside the cubby hole.

Pretty simple really. No fancy doors or anything, just a rectangular hole in the floor. When the basket was raised, you could not see any winch cables or the hole.

With basic welding skills, it could be done for pretty cheap, well under $1000. You'd then have to build some sort of enclosure to hide the winch, either brick,, stone or some sort of closet.

http://www.woodwaiter.com/en

The handywaiter, while more expensive (~$4000) goes from one floor level to another. For instance, I could keep my existing setup, which has the wood stored in the garage and me wheeling it to the insert, and, additionally, wheel it to the waiter, and then send it down to the basement near the proposed wood boiler.

Other than price, what do you think?
Sorry but I aint gonna give an honest opinion on this deal thank you very much. I mean, REALLY? Sheesh!

Now if it was loaded with beer...

Bringing 4-6 cords up, or even down the basement stairs could get tedious over the course of a winter.

Cute but not practical and @$4,000. Maybe if I win that power-ball thing...

If you're talking about moving wood down into the basement, a simple chute (i.e. large diameter pvc pipe) is MUCH cheaper and more reliable. Gravity will NEVER let you down.

Reactions: velvetfoot
Yup, a dumb waiter albeit a much stronger one. It should not take too much for someone to make one of his own though and it certainly would not cost you $4000.

If you're talking about moving wood down into the basement, a simple chute (i.e. large diameter pvc pipe) is MUCH cheaper and more reliable. Gravity will NEVER let you down.
mount an axe down there at the end of the chute,,drop the round,,,get it split for free too.

Status
Not open for further replies.