Wood warm or cold??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep about 5 days of wood stacked in my fireplace near the wood stove..Not to warm it up, just for convenience.

Reactions: ScotO
The only time any wood sits indoors is when my wife will be home alone long enough to require a reload. Then I load up the big copper kettle next to each stove with wood, so she doesn't need to go fetch it from outside. I don't like having any wood sitting indoors, due to the bugs that seem to inevitably come in with it... be it moths, stink bugs, or other more destructive critters.

I keep it covered to make sure there is no snow or ice, but it is cold. I could see if you were trying to burn wood that was 25% moisture content that you would not want to burn it cold as the moisture would be frozen and cause even worse issues that just the wet wood at room temp, but I am burning 11% wood and thus it burns just the same if it comes in from 5::F or is at 75::F

I keep about 2 days worth in by the fireplace. Prob 3+ weeks worth up under the porch. I like to have it warmed inside, plus if there is any surface moisture a day or two in next to the fireplace has that resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.