Wood, Warmth and Self Reliance!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After cleaning the hound out of my 1975 VC Defiant yesterday it is purring away with temps in the low 20's outside. This old girl has never performed so well for me. A good cleaning goes a long way.

At the recommendation of "fraxus" I partially disassembled and cleaned behind the fire back and secondary vent tubes for the first time...Hey... I didn't know. Even though some old stove putty came loose and rattled into the Shop Vac and I discovered a nasty old hairline crack on the fire back I reassembled and fired up some Black Walnut at about 6:30pm tonight. About an hour later I loaded up the huge Defiant fire box, gave it enough time to catch and shifted into "Horizontal Burn Mode". Much to my surprise it's 7 hours later (1:30am) and the stove is still putting out more heat than I can believe.

The Chimgard surface thermo is reading 850* on the front doors of the stove and it's showing no signs of slowing down. The brick directly in front of the stove is to hot to stand on bare foot and the heat scorches my legs if I stand there more than a few seconds. The digital thermometer 30 feet away says 84.3*F.

I slipped on the Croc's, then marched outside armed with my trusty 3 million candle power spotlight to check the smoke output. I found a small amount of clear blue smoke wafting into the clear night sky. I thought I would see a black monster writhing from the chimney with the cruel Smoke Dragon handle everyone uses to describe my old dear. I know...I know...if I had one of the new breed stoves I probably wouldn't see any smoke at all. But don't ruin the moment.

I have to admit I have been studying the newer stoves features, pros and cons and prices since I have been logged onto Hearth.com the last few days. I am impressed with the Englander 30's performance and affordability and the Pacific Energy Summit sure looks nice and many have great things to say about its attributes. Who knows? I may take the leap for a new stove...one of these days. I am planning a major home remodel in the next few years...Perhaps a new state of the art fire breather would be nice. But for now the old classic VC Defiant sure feels good. The only creatures that may be enjoying the radiant warmth of the Defiant more than my wife and I is the several cats conked out and soaking up the heat strategically positioned around the stove. A favorite spot for my many friendly felines. You may not know but cats make excellent thermal mass and provide an extra benefit called "Fur Therapy".

As I sit her in mid winter enjoying the copious amounts of low cost heat I am contemplating my plans for this summer. I have decided to get the Defiant into tip top shape. I will be installing a new two piece fire back, all new gaskets, seal all the joints and who knows what else..perhaps some nice stove black and a chimney extension may be in the works.

I am looking forward to filling up my new, scrounged material, wood shed (6' deep X 8' high x 40' long) made up of rescued pallets for a floor, raised off the ground with treated landscape timbers for longevity. The uprights are 8' landscape timbers, cross members are treated 4x4's and the roof is rust red corrugated metal to match my future new home roof. All and all I have about $125 in the shed but I think it looks great and it does my heart good to look at my creation while thinking about the Red Oak I will be stocking it with. Ahhh... the joys of wood, warmth and self reliance.

I'm glad I stumbled across Hearth.com. Feels like family already.... For now... Happy Burning!

Sounds like it is working!

As we talked about, this is easier done in cold weather - when you can use relatively full loads and the chimney draft is better (draft is better when it is colder)....

The biggest factor in clean burning is often the operator and the fuel. Just being educated about it goes a long way.

OH, BTW, all the early defiants cracked in the back (same with the Uplands) - the castings were engineered too large without enough stress relief. Usually do big deal, patch with furnace cement, etc. -

Story was good up to the "I slipped on the Crocs" part! Have to revoke man points for that one! :) Sorry just kidding it was a well written explanation I could feel the warmth from the old stove.

oh man... crocs !?!?!
edit that fast....
man can we get a pic of you splitting wood in crocs?

i think i'm gonna vaccumm out my cat brick this weekend.
its my first year... worried about fly ash 'cause i'm not that need a person.... and worried about busting something.
Did you replace the stove putty, i already see a few missing pcs in my stove.

Glad your beaming with pride!!

OK Guys...watch the remarks about the CROC's. They are very useful pieces of high tech footwear for a MAN like me. They show you are a sensitive and caring individual who emphasises function over form. They are easy to put on in a hurry...just slip on and away you go to handle the little emergencies of life in a hurry. All the best men(enlightened) wear them. Tim the Tool Man Taylor has a pair...Auff...Aufff...Auffff. They are great for wearing while cleaning the 8 kennels I have for my Pooches and when I'm done just hose them off and hang to dry. And I must confess I have split wood in them...no pic's though...I'll work on that. I am even planning a very Manly upgrade by applying a durable coating of truck bed liner to the bottoms of the Croc's to increase their life span and make them more slip resistant. How much more testosterone do you need. What it boils down to is that..Shoes don't tell what kind of a MAN you are...A WOOD STOVE tells what kind of a MAN you are! Can I hear an AMEN on that??? Croc's Rule!

What else are ya wearin?

"I am even planning a very Manly upgrade by applying a durable coating of truck bed liner to the bottoms of the Croc’s to increase their life span and make them more slip resistant."

thats hysterical, modding the footwear, do that and i wont laugh anymore.

OK Moondoggy,

I will kindly supply Pic's of the Mod's when I get them done. Maybe a trend in the making?

Swestall,

I also wear Lands End, LL Bean and Timberland footwear just to name a few. But the Cros's...Oh there nice man! You should try a pair! I heard Craig wears them all the time.

Croc's, Isuzu Trooper, International Harvester, Stihl, Craftsman, DeWalt, Leatherman...All these names go together like Vermont and Castings...Tough and Long lasting!!!

Don't knock Crocs until you have tried them. I put mine on right when I get home from work (it's like walking on marshmallows)

cant look at your Rollins avitar and read your post with out shaking my head
i suppose Henry would understand....... or crush your shoes in half
my wife and daughter rave too..... but i just cant do it, i'll take my crummy old sneakers and boots anyday.
socks only indoors.

I hear ya moondoggy. My girls and my wife love them. She bought me a pair and I said "send them right back." My fishin' partner is the only straight man I've ever seen wear them, and I'm not real sure about him :roll:

These posts are too funny! You can try and justify it all you want but they are still my sisters shoes!

moondoggy said:
i suppose Henry would understand....... or crush your shoes in half.

Hahaha...

Hmmm..Don't even know what crocs are. Looked em up on line. I wear them! My dog Luey loves to chew on them. Kind of fitting for a croc to get chewed huh?

moondoggy said:
i suppose Henry would understand....... or crush your shoes in half
my wife and daughter rave too..... but i just cant do it, i'll take my crummy old sneakers and boots anyday.
socks only indoors.

I've got hardwood floors and sock don't provide enough cushion. The crocs are the ticket and mine arent girly (they area mossy-brown color).

Henry probably rocks a pair of orange ones just to be punk.

Hey Guys,

Welcome to the New Croc Forum... I didn't know my story...Wood,Warmth and Self Reliance would spawn such a discussion about foot wear.

JPL1nh...I have a funny story about dogs and croc's. As you know I have several dogs. Some mine and some are fosters at my house until they find their furever home. About two years ago I got some Croc knock offs at Wally World. So I had the real thing and the not so real thing. This is a testament to Croc quality. One day I left both pairs in the garage with my Black Lab. Several hours later upon returning home I had one pair of intact Croc's and tiny little pieces of the knock offs. Since then I have made the same mistake several times by leaving them out for one dog or another to get at and they still are in one solid piece. They do however have a few teeth marks but whatever they are made of is pretty tough stuff.

The reason I started wearing Croc's is that a lot of Veterinarians and Vet Techs wear them because they are so comfortable when standing in surgery all day. I was the Executive Director of a Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic where I filled in on surgery days as a Vet Tech. The Vets had great things to say about them so I got a pair and have been a fan ever since. Everyone should try a pair...just think of them as high tech flip flops.

Here is the Croc website link...click on "Mens" and check out the "Off Road Croc" pretty cool... http://www.crocs.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.