1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

wood weight?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by stockdoct, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stockdoct

stockdoct New Member

Loc:
    ilinois
    This is a strange question, but I thought someone here probably knows the answer....

How much does a cord of wood weigh? (either "wet" or seasoned)

There are lots of opportunities around this area to scrounge wood, and I find a little bit every couple days. Today I threw a bunch of logs in my truck and when I got home I had the bright idea to weigh them (loosely packed, my fireplace insert can hold probably 40 pounds of dried wood). I was a little surprised when I found out today I scrounged 340 pounds! After splitting and drying, that probably equates to 6-7 packed fireboxes. So how much does a full cord weigh?

I'd also like to know because I have a cargo hauler which I could use to pick up rounds from a local tree-guy, but the hitch on the cargo hauler is only rated for 2000 pounds. Is a cord more than that?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stockdoct

stockdoct New Member

Loc:
    ilinois
  3. Jeff S

Jeff S Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kimball,Michigan
    That is an excellent chart,will help me in my daily scrounging,I will take almost anything but will go for wood with the highest BTU first.
  4. HeatsTwice

HeatsTwice Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Santa Rosa, California

Yes I agree. The only thing I find off about the site is that it doesn't describe species of the rest of the country. That is, what about Acacia? That stuff is better than oak from my experience. And what about California Live oak?

Over all the site is a very good start.
  5. FF184

FF184 Member

Loc:
    SW Pennsylvania
    Nice find!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.