Woodbox by the Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for some pictures of what you use for storing wood by the wood stove. I plan to build a nice woodbox and would love to see what ya'll are using!

Mine didn't take anywhere near 3 nails. I use a clear, plastic storage box minus the cover. Cheap to acquire, really easy to clean and any snow melt is nicely contained until it's evaporated.

i put wood on the rack when i have normal size piece and fill this wood box i made this year at my shop out of sheetmetal then painted in black.the box works great for the chunks i have as well. i jsut have those pieces there cuz there gettin ready to go into the stove.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 962
Only at night time do we stack any wood near the stove. Then we stack enough for the next load and our hearth is large. Usually though I don't like extra wood in the house.

Backwoods Savage said:
Only at night time do we stack any wood near the stove. Then we stack enough for the next load and our hearth is large. Usually though I don't like extra wood in the house.

da Savage said it for me, I don't like storing too much wood in the house. Matter of fact, I carry in a load for the next fill, like at night I'll bring in enough to load in the morning. Only time I'll store a couple days worth inside is if there is a snowstorm on the way.

Here are a couple pictures of my Jotul 550 insert and Cherry plywood wood box. It holds a couple days of wood. Hope the pictures come out.

Attachments

• fireplace - Page 001.jpg
    fireplace - Page 001.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 900
  • fireplace - Page 003.jpg
    fireplace - Page 003.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 877
I have a 5 year old Wally World "u" shaped metal wood rack near the fireplace,

I keep the "dust" down by loading the wood into these

http://www.horse.com/item/fortex-flexible-bucket/SLT901547/

for the final trek into the house. Before anything comes into the house, it's in a milk crate, and banging around a bit.

That horse bucket looks cool - if not for wood for all kinds of stuff - I ordered the big one - if it doesnt work well for wood I am sure it will be good for something

I made one out of scraps of plywood (from when I made the stove pad actually). It's about 20x24x24. I put some small wheels under it. Wheel it out the front door, load it up from the cart I have outside (my woodpile is out back) and back in the house. Holds enough wood for 3-4 days.

My friend just keeps a small pile of wood on his back deck so they are in and out all day hauling wood for the fireplace. Makes a mess both from wood and then shoes, not to mention trying to burn wood that is -20* isn't as easy as room temp wood.

kayakkeith said:
That horse bucket looks cool - if not for wood for all kinds of stuff - I ordered the big one - if it doesnt work well for wood I am sure it will be good for something

+1, Thanks for the tip!

It's a beauty - exactly what I want!

Roxburyeric said:
Here are a couple pictures of my Jotul 550 insert and Cherry plywood wood box. It holds a couple days of wood. Hope the pictures come out.

We have wood every damn where :)
I have a small steel rack right next to the fire.
I have a larger storage container/tub full in the room with the fire.
Not pertinent to this topic, I have a larger 12 foot rack loaded in the garage, and three more stacks outside- one under carport, one close to the house, and one in the woods.
Our hobby is apparently rearranging woodpiles.

Single greatest tool we ever came up with is a huge Brute garbage can on wheels that we use to roll wood from the garage to the family room fire area.
Used to use a wheelbarrow but the Brute is much more stable, more easy rolling, and easier to maneuver through doorways.

If, if, if/when our ginormous RPTV ever dies and I replace it with a flatscreen I intend to have a base built that will double as a compartmentalized wood rack.
We need our TV's up very high (but can't wall mount this location) to be able to see over top of the dogs and a custom rack seems ideal for this space.

Built out of scrap wood . . . cobbled it together in an afternoon. Holds enough wood for 1-2 days . . . also space for kindling and hooks for some tools.

Attachments

• woodbox1.jpg
    woodbox1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 695
  • woodbox2.jpg
    woodbox2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 692
  • woodboxcats1.jpg
    woodboxcats1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 687
  • woodbox4.jpg
    woodbox4.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 686
No pics, but we use a galvanized steel thing that's about 2-2.5 across and about a foot high. It'll hold a couple days worth, I guess.
Not pretty, but it sorta' keeps the mess contained. I take it outside whenever I feel like it and dump the detritus on the driveway, or in the woods.

Another vote for the galvanized metal tub — squarish (rounded corners) and two handles. With splits stacked vertically it holds a lot of wood. It's fire-proof, easy to clean and to put away in the off-season. I think these used to be called wash tubs.

firefighterjake said:
Built out of scrap wood . . . cobbled it together in an afternoon. Holds enough wood for 1-2 days . . . also space for kindling and hooks for some tools.

That is getting close to what I am looking for. It looks like your cats are enjoying the wood stove!

Rickochet said:
firefighterjake said:

That is getting close to what I am looking for. It looks like your cats are enjoying the wood stove!

They always enjoy the woodstove . . . if you need to find 'em in the winter just look around the woodstove . . . usually there is one in back or on the side, a couple in front using the hearth as a pillow and one on the couch closest to the stove.

Glad to have helped . . . as I said . . . I cobbled this together with some scrap tongue and groove wood and a bit of plywood for the base (which I think was left over from my hearth base come to think of it) . . . I added the plastic tote to help keep things a bit neater and have a separate section for kindling and hooks for tools. In the summer the top is closed and the whole thing becomes just another place to sit and admire the outside view.

I don't store any wood in the house for now. The wood I cut is dead wood that generally has been dead for several years or more. Sometimes when I cut it (especially locust) a lot of critters come crawling or flying out of the wood. I think all of them would like the wood floors/frame in my house for a new warm home.

I bought some canvas bags at tractor supply and fill these to hold my wood. I can bring the wood in the house, load the stove and hardly spill a bit of dust or splinters - it mostly all stays in the bag.

Between the house and the woodpile is a wheelbarrow with a tarp over it loaded with wood.

Though I like to cut dry/dead wood from the get go, a good reason to cut green and let it season for 3ish years is to get pretty much bug free solid wood in the wood box. That's the kind of stuff I'd bring inside.

Thanks!
Bill

Wow, roxbury Eric, that's beautiful , the whole setup!

Jake I have two similar boxes made by my late gramps that I store extra blankets and etc in. MIght have to look them over and make one the wood box like yours!

So, none of you store your wood like this?!

Nestor martin Collection copy.jpg

wall-log-holder.jpg

LOL. Pretty sure FF Jake is abusing those cats by putting them into a "physician"-induced coma. *makes some calls to the ASPCA* :lol:

I use an ugly arse Rubbermaid tote to keep a little wood on hand. I won't dare post a pic of that mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.