WoodBrickFuel -- Follow the directions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spirilis

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Just relaying a little advice I learned from tonight. Previously in my less-than-ideal stove+flue setup (2 stoves venting into an oversized flue), my small downstairs Jotul Series 8 would have a hell of a time starting up due to draft issues. My original setup was to lay some of the WoodBrickFuel bricks (similar to biobricks/envi blocks et al, except they don't look as highly compressed) side by side with some kindling/firestarters in between. It'd take me over 2 hours to get a hot fire going (talking ~600F fluepipe temps here).

Tonight, using just the downstairs stove (should be the worst draft possible as it's a 6" pipe venting into a 12"x12" clay liner) I arranged the bricks the way they tell you on the website--in a teepee formation, with 1 brick in back, 2 stacked against it, 1 brick on top, add firestarters and light, then put another brick in front (so 5 bricks total, 4 arranged in a pyramid with 1 on top). Kept the door wide open. In that little enclosed space, the firestarters got nice & hot and that top brick lit up FAST. Once the fluepipe temps reached 400F I closed the door and it just rocketed it up from there. After like 1 hour the fluepipe temps were touching ~1300F, and I just had to turn the air damper down to about ~1/4 open. Just goes to show that one should follow the directions when given. I used two camp firestarter sticks this time, but I am going to experiment with other forms of tinder & kindling, preferably stuff that's freely available by scavenging... and see if it's just as effective. Love those bricks!

FYI: Fluepipe thermometer is a Condar probe stuck ~18" away from the stove in the fluepipe just after a 90-degree elbow. The temperature outside is currently 50F.

Status
Not open for further replies.