Woodburner installed into existing chimney - currently just a large hole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theskibug

We are in the process of wanting to fit a free standing woodburner into an existing chimney. We have a fairly small lounge and in one corner was an open fire with a massive decorative chimney and hearth. The open fire was useless and took up too much space. We have knocked this all out and are now just left with a long oval hole up towards the ceiling, which is a hole into the existing chimney.

On the other side of the wall and going into the same chimney but lower down is a wood fuelled stove. This works and is great.

We live in a two storey house and we have the lower apartment and a couple live above us. They already have a wood burner fitted into the same chimney higher up.

The chimney does not appear to be lined as its an older house and its the original masonry fireplace.

As I understand it I will need to take the flue out of the back of the wood burner, which will sit in the corner of the room at an angle, the flue will then need to go through a 'registry plate' to form a seal into the chimney???? And can just stick a few centimetres out the otherside of the plate into the chimney?

I will try and post some pictures in the next day or so.

Are you saying you are going to have two woodburners in one chimney?....if that is what you are saying, that is a big no-no.....you should have one flue dedicated to each appliance, and that is code......

Bienvenue! What part of France are you from?

Pictures will help, but I would get a good, qualified chimney sweep's eyes on the current setup to determine its safety and a practical course of action. You may have very different regulations and options than we have over here. Have them determine whether there are multiple flue channels in this chimney or if it is just a common flue. Ask if a stainless liner is advised.

There are at least 2 wood burners in one chimney. Does not appear to be any flues in the chimney as can look up and down it. I was told not to have both open fire and woodburner on other side going at once. Upstairs apartment also has a woodburner and presume into same chimney. Think it is a common flue - as in actual masonry chimney - no metal flue going up that we can see.

Please note that this is France and completely different rules and regs. A chimney sweep has to check and clean chimney once a year for insurance purposes. Builder has already looked briefly and said all fine.

theskibug said:
There are at least 2 wood burners in one chimney. Does not appear to be any flues in the chimney as can look up and down it. I was told not to have both open fire and woodburner on other side going at once. Upstairs apartment also has a woodburner and presume into same chimney. Think it is a common flue - as in actual masonry chimney - no metal flue going up that we can see.

Please note that this is France and completely different rules and regs. A chimney sweep has to check and clean chimney once a year for insurance purposes. Builder has already looked briefly and said all fine.
Yes I didn't see you were from France until I already posted.....if your sweep is qualified to say so, then that is your call.......their are lots of options but if you are aiming for heat instead of ambience then you should probably consider a good secondary style woodstove......make sure you get one that is not going to cook you out of the space you plan on heating, some of these new stoves really put out the heat!

theskibug said:
We already have wood burner. Its a small 7kW one but very good make. As its often -20 at night here no worries about being too hot!
so what exactly are you looking to do with that fireplace?

Very good.....keep us posted on your project and welcome to the hearth!

Status
Not open for further replies.