WOODFIBER Inc Hardwood Pellets BAD BUY!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

superchips

Dec 12, 2011
NH seacoast
Note: I don't own any stock in any pellet mills. I'm only a consumer whom uses wood pellets for heat.

Well, I picked up a dozen bags of woodfibers hardwood pellets. The bags were dry and the pellets felt ok. They state on the bag: 8000+ BTU's
Dumped them into a clean Englander PVD 25. Had to break up a bunch of longs 3 to 4 inchers. No real big deal.
The pellets lit normal, so off I went. Well after some time the stove went out. Not something this stove has done before without something seriously wrong.
Turns out that they burn well but put out such low heat that the stove thinks it's out of pellets/ no heat.
So, i have to burn 3 times the amount of pellets just to keep the sensor in the exhaust to believe It's still burning pellets.

So 12 bags of woodfiber pellets now equals 3 bags of Firesides...
My gues is that these pellets must have been made of hardwood that had fallen over 4 years back. Cardboard or corn cobs would have made higher producing pellets.
I got ripped off! Don't let it happen to you.

Attachments

• WFI up LBTU.bmp
    794.6 KB · Views: 758
I'm beginning to think that retailers are grabbing what they can to keep the shelves full. I doubt their purchasing dept doesn't use the wood pellet review page (I have it as a favorite on my phone) Life is too short to even waste ONE bag

Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
Surprised to see a pellet from Niagara, WI in New Hampshire.

http://www.woodfibersinc.com/products/heating_pellets/

WOnder if the softwoods are any better?

Their website states they only distribute to Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. Where did you get these pellets????

Wow that's weird...the Easton, PA Home Depot had a trailer load about 5-6 weeks ago....I passed on them since I tried them the year before and they didn't burn real great in my stove.....

Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
Surprised to see a pellet from Niagara, WI in New Hampshire.

http://www.woodfibersinc.com/products/heating_pellets/

WOnder if the softwoods are any better?

Their website states they only distribute to Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. Where did you get these pellets????
Well I bought 7 bags, then bought 5 more when I was christmas shopping.
Bought them at Home Depot in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
I think they are asking ~$4.85 / bag. I'm only paying ~$3.60/bag because I pre bought.

I wouldn't have bought more if it wasn't for what was stated on the bag.
I sent them an email but haven't heard back yet. I would just write it off if it wasn't for the mis rep on the package.

Attachments

• pellet label.jpg
    pellet label.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 584
smoke show said:

Thanks - From your other thread:
smoke show said:
smoke show said:
Bumpin this old thread.

I was at Homey D last nite a picked up a few bags to try.

Will update post after.

Not impressed.

Burned all three bags over the weekend.

Had a considerably lower flame height in the quad and snuffed out the fire in the englander on the third night.(pot overflowed w/unbrned pellets)

So, I'm burning the in the englander on a setting of 6 (I usually set it on 1 maybe 2 = 1 bag a day). On 6 with these pellets my exhaust pipe is warm to the touch like it is with most pellets burning on setting 1. Most pellets burning on setting 6 would make the pipe real hot and crank the heat into the room.
There is definitely something wrong here. And it's not my stove.
I wish I had taken notice of that thread.
Thanks

I bought 15 bags of these at Home Depot a while back. I wouldn't call them absolute junk, but I wouldn't use them on a cold day either. I only paid 3.49/bag. These burn better than the half ton of Michigan Wood pellets I bought in October before I found this forum. Those make the Wood Fibers pellets seem like super premiums.

Superchips, Are you actually burning 3x more pounds per hour or did you just have to increase your feed rate to compensate for the long pellets feeding a lot slower?

The softwoods are just as bad. I thought softwoods usually had less ash, not these. I wil be glad when I don't have any left. Luckily, I only bought 4 bags. I am going to wait awhile to burn these. I am not looking foward to burning them.

Dougsey said:
Superchips, Are you actually burning 3x more pounds per hour or did you just have to increase your feed rate to compensate for the long pellets feeding a lot slower?
I'm burning 3 bags a day instead of just one to reach almost the same heat output.
I broke up the longs by hand, so that wouldn't be much of an issue.
The pellets burn fully but don't produce heat.
Still haven't heard back from woodfiber inc.

Unfortunately, Wood Fibers inc. and Michigan Wood Pellets are about the only choices at many of the box stores around here. I have struggled to find decent pellets at the box stores. I did find some Somersets the other day though. This has been my most difficult year that I can remember finding good pellets at the box stores. With the amount of ash that these lower end pellets put out, it may be time to just spend more to get the better pellet. I can't believe how much ash some of these pellets put out. I am not sure what under 1% ash content means anymore either. On a positve note, when I am done burning the 3 remaining bags of Wood Fibers Inc., I have mostly Jed's and Somerset left.

you should be really happy with the Somersets
I have burned alot of them
the last ton I opened however are a little more ashy than normal

Still haven't heard from woodfibers inc, so I posted on their face book page. Maybe that will speed things up.

Attachments

• WFpellet length.jpg
    WFpellet length.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 304
I guess they didn't like the pics I posted on Face Book. So they have the time to delete posts but not enough time to respond to consumers valid complaits.

You'd think that in this day in age when a vendor/company/manufacturer makes a mistake that taking ownership and correcting the problem with the customer would be a no brainer, thus make a huge impression on other potential customers. Everyone makes mistakes, but when a company doesn't stand by their product. Well, you know what happens. I will NEVER EVERY BUY: Infernos, Penningtons, AWF, Appling County, Michigans just to name a few. Mind you, I've never used these, except for 1 bag of Pennington's Natures Heat and it's all because of the horrible experiences from folks on this website!

Bad news in the digital age travels faster than "you know what" through a goose!

superchips said:
I guess they didn't like the pics I posted on Face Book. So they have the time to delete posts but not enough time to respond to consumers valid complaits.

post a link to this thread.

smoke show said:
superchips said:

post a link to this thread.
It took 6 seconds for the last pick to be deleted. I guess someone didn't like me posting pics of their product and asking for them to explain.

link to their FB http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wood-Fibers-Inc/132865823423184

Hey in over a year a total of 13 people like them. Now we know how many employees they have.

Just found their gauranty on their FB. I think I'll ask for a refund.
Wood fibers, Inc. is dedicated to preserving the environment. All of our products are made from natural by-products of the lumber industry. This diverts thousands of tons of waste that would have ended up in landfills. Wood Fibers, Inc’s products are 100% renewable and 100% guaranteed. Our pellets burn clean and have extremely low emissions. Burning pellet fuel also reduces the dependency of foreign oil and fossil fuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.