WoodGetter Chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

In my neck of the NE the water is still coming up outta' the ground from a wet summer/fall. The forecast has single digits in it, so whatever ice melted the past few days will be reforming with a vengeance! I'd like to be able to confidently cross ice roads so that I can continue getting wood through this season.

Looking for educated opinions on the best chains for my woodgetter. Tire size is 16.9 X 28. Are double ring chains the easiest on the tires? Am I better off with some of these aggressive lug-type chains designed for skidders, assuming I can get them for my size tire.

Jimbo

Double rings suck . Wear out fast. Get these. They are easily repairable with regular chain and they stand up to the abuse of the hardpack. I've got them for my loader and backhoe and they work great. You'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage on your house if you want to buy skidder chains.

http://www.tractortirechains.com/agricultural_duo.asp

Ok, apparently 16.9X28 is JUST under what most places sell skidder chains for.

While I appreciate your attempt to save me some cash, Lee, those chains look like. . . . use yer imagination ;-)

Anyone know if there is a noticable difference between Boron and carbon when they're only used for a couple of months in winter, and not 'commercially' at that?

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Ok, apparently 16.9X28 is JUST under what most places sell skidder chains for.

While I appreciate your attempt to save me some cash, Lee, those chains look like. . . . use yer imagination ;-)

Anyone know if there is a noticable difference between Boron and carbon when they're only used for a couple of months in winter, and not 'commercially' at that?

I've run the bear claw and net chains on skidders and they are not for speeds over 5MPH on hardpark especially the bear claw. They are for soft ground and climbing over slippery wood and tops. The size your looking for is going to run around $1800/pair.
I have an 80HP 4x4 tractor with Farmi winch for doing small timber jobs that I run the chains in the link on and they are more than substantial for skidding needs. They don't look like much but they work .

Thanx Lee!

Ice is the issue. Mud somewhat, but so far my 50HP 4X4 can easily handle any mud I have taken her through. The Ice this year is awefull, as the water is STILL coming up out of the ground here.

I don't think the 5MPH restriction will be a problem. Once the ice melts sometime in April I would yank the chains back off.

2 questions . . .

The link is for 30", not 28". This seems to be the cut-off for most sites when it comes to the skidder-type chains. Thoughts on cutting 30' down to go on 28's??

Assuming price is not the object, any opinion on the difference between the tab chains versus the studded chains? Which one is easier on the tires?

Jimbo

Looks like there are 4 links between crossovers on the web chains in that link. Shouldn't be to much trouble to mod. I'd call and ask the manufacturer about your smaller size.
It's been quite a few years but I think the chains I bought for my loader were oversize and I had to cut them down.No problems.
I had some extra chain laying around so I put some extra crossovers on mine although they didn't really need it.
I've had mine for about 6 years and see very little wear running the machine about 8-12 hours a week all winter.
I think your gonna find the webs are overkill for what you want to do but it's your coin.
Definetly do not buy the bear claw if your running mainLEE on hardpack. You'll lose your falseies and pee your pants at the same time from the vibration.
Where you at in NY?

No mans land! Somewhere between the Southern Tier, the Catskills and the ADK's.

Ok, maybe I am addicted to NOT TAKING FROM MY PILE, or maybe I just like my toys. But these chains http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3829

claim that the closer spacing of the rings makes a smoother ride. BTW, so far, all my teeth are mine, and maybe if the vibration is just right it won't be pee :grrr:

Jimbo

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
No mans land! Somewhere between the Southern Tier, the Catskills and the ADK's.

Ok, maybe I am addicted to NOT TAKING FROM MY PILE, or maybe I just like my toys. But these chains http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3829

claim that the closer spacing of the rings makes a smoother ride. BTW, so far, all my teeth are mine, and maybe if the vibration is just right it won't be pee :grrr:

Jimbo

If you get those bear claws and run on hard pack consistentLEE at any speed faster than a crawl be prepared to replace wheel seals in your tractor. I'd definetly think about the webs instead.
Skidders are designed to hold up to ALOT of punishment, tractors aren't.
If you doubt my advice I wood definetLEE talk to the manufacturer about your application.

If you are mainly worried about ice, take a look at these:

http://www.icechains.com/

Worked very well but definitely shook the cheeks if there wasn't a lot of snow under the tires. And you do have to be careful as they will tear up asphalt if you spin.

Ok, so I finally pulled the trigger!

I went with V-Bar Duo-Grip from http://tirechain.com/DUO-GRIP-V-BAR.htm

The V-Bar is like the truck chains I used to use on my plow truck. The Duo-Grip ladder has an additional cross chain between duo-grip cross chains. about $600 with tensioners. Includes $85 shipping (rip-off!!)

My thinking is that if I decide I want the bear paw ones in the future, I can cut the 16.9X28's down to the 9.5X24's on the front.

More likely, when the order arrives it will warm up and the ice will melt!!

BTW . . . for $600 I could purchase a tri-axle load of beach, approx 8 cord. This means I must gather 8 cord between now and April 1 to break even :bug:

Jimbo

I think you made the right move. Those are just like mine except I dont have the V-bar. I think you'll be impressed with them and they have the smoothest ride of the 3. You should be able to run full speed with those as long as they're snug.
If you don't think they provide enough traction you can always add cross chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.