WoodGun E140 installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good, and again, not be a plumber, but why the circ pump pumping warm water back into the WM where you have the hot water of the WG entering the return of the WM

It's the way the WM is designed, 2 pumps within itself. One pumping to the supply manifold and the other recirculates warm water to the return side of the WM.

Yup, 3-4ft is what the forecast is. All lake effect. I live in Watertown, just a hair north of the tug hill plateau.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/gfemaps/StormTotalSnow.shtml

Last edited:
Well I got it all plumbed up today like the diagram in post 23. Running good now! 180* water at the PEX coming into the house, 180* water just before the supply manifold and a 165-170* return temp headed to the wood gun thanks to the bridge.

It's only part way done. I wanted to extend the manifold out for 3 more zones and then rezone my main floor into two zones. One for bedrooms and one for living/kitchen areas. That will leave me capable of three additional zones for when I finish the basement.

Hi ALL4GLH, I have basically the same system, EClassic 2400 in place of the WG and forced hot water boiler in the basement. The difference I see is that I have a heat exchanger in between the two systems. The Oil burner/boiler is pressurized and the OWB is not, therefore, they shouldn't be sharing the same water. I know that many folks do hook em up like that but I dont believe that is the most efficient, trouble free way to do it. It also makes it easier to identify where any problems may exist. Just a thought..

Well I got it all plumbed up today like the diagram in post 23. Running good now! 180* water at the PEX coming into the house, 180* water just before the supply manifold and a 165-170* return temp headed to the wood gun thanks to the bridge.

It's only part way done. I wanted to extend the manifold out for 3 more zones and then rezone my main floor into two zones. One for bedrooms and one for living/kitchen areas. That will leave me capable of three additional zones for when I finish the basement.

Glad to hear you got it worked out.
It sucks that you paid an installer and had to redo it, but still glad you're up and running.
I too had to redo a couple things my installer screwed up on.
When i told him what he did wrong his answer was "well, you were getting heat right?"
Dumb answer, its like saying "well, you're still driving the car even if one tire is completely flat"

Monday night to Wednesday morning will be a good test for how it's hooked up. Low of -8 for Monday night, high of 5 for Tuesday and a low of -10 on Tuesday night.

Monday night to Wednesday morning will be a good test for how it's hooked up. Low of -8 for Monday night, high of 5 for Tuesday and a low of -10 on Tuesday night.

And he says... "bring it on..I'm ready"

Not only that, but, my wife just went into labor this morning. Now we might be bringing home a little one right when the arctic weather hits us. At least the garage is heated....

Doing much better. The house and garage maintained temperature and the woodgun kept up with the demand without any issues. Was -15* with a windchill putting it at -25* or so. The boiler room in my pole shed maintained a ~65* temperature. The lowest water temp for supply and return was 165. Now the next project is breaking down the house into different zones.

I love to hear another satisfied Wood Gun owner.

How's the newborn, nice and warm?
Thanks to the wood gun, you can crank up the heat.

She's doing great!! I have a 14yo daughter as well, man does this bring back great memories.

I have the house at 70 and garage at 60. This single zone thing isn't going to work for long. I'll probably be doing that sooner than later so the babies room isn't 76* when the only thermostat is set to 70* in the family room with tall ceilings.

The baby probably likes it at 76* considering where she just was was a balmy 98*

She's doing great!! I have a 14yo daughter as well, man does this bring back great memories.

I have the house at 70 and garage at 60. This single zone thing isn't going to work for long. I'll probably be doing that sooner than later so the babies room isn't 76* when the only thermostat is set to 70* in the family room with tall ceilings.

That's awesome - all the way around. Congrats!

Are you and the new born warm enough?
How is it running?

ALL4GLH. Just seen this. Glad you got it worked out man. Congratulations on the baby! I'm about 60 miles from you or so. If you have any questions I will be glad to try to help you out. Although I am no expert, that is for sure! LOL

These folks in the boiler room are great! I'm not sure how your re-plumbing job changed your input and output but my wood gun is piped in parallel to my oil boiler. In other words, all the hot water runs right by my oil boiler. The only time the oil kicks on is if the aquastat for the Wood Gun is too cold, and then the aquastat for the buffer tank is too cold. Then the oil takes over. Hope your system is working great for you!

Everything is working great!! We had a few cold nights earlier in the week, it didn't even notice the difference. We have another below zero night tonight.

I still need to split up the zone into smaller zones so I can have a more even heat throughout the house, but, that's a job for a different time. Shouldn't cost too much since I'm doing all the work, got to love PEX!!

Reactions: Gasifier
Great! I don't know how long you have been burning wood. But one of the best things you can do is burn properly seasoned wood! Not many wood burners up this way do this. But you will get a lot more heat out of your wood if you do. They say the Wood Gun likes it between 20-30%. Most of my wood is in the range of 17-23% or so. Are you ready for next year with your supply? I cut all my wood in the winter, cut/split/stack c/s/s in the spring. And hopefully have at least 6-7 months of seasoning before I start burning. Mostly use Ash, Maple and Pine. Welcome aboard by the way!

What I'm burning now is seasoned about 15 months, mostly mixed hardwoods with a lot of oak. I have ~16 face cord in logs in my yard that are down about 14 months that i'll be taking care of this spring. I usually get most of my wood from ft drum, we'll see what happens this next spring.

Just checking in, hows the WG?
Some other owners want to throw the towel in and I was just checking to see that you weren't going to be added to the list.
Hope its working out for you.

What I'm burning now is seasoned about 15 months, mostly mixed hardwoods with a lot of oak. I have ~16 face cord in logs in my yard that are down about 14 months that i'll be taking care of this spring. I usually get most of my wood from ft drum, we'll see what happens this next spring.

Fort Drum has a new biomass burning power plant, right?

Yup. And, sadly, most of the harvesters around here are getting more for the pulp than firewood. The price of firewood hasn't really gone up, put finding a load of logs is a little harder.

I usually get a firewood permit that allows me to go around and scavenge, which isn't actually that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.