Woodheat in poetry and literature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrawfordCentury

Jul 1, 2009
The foothills
In another thread, I posted something about a saw reminding me of a Robert Frost poem. Which made me think of this one - one of my favorites - makes me think of my late father and the dad I strive to be:

Those Winter Sundays
by Robert E. Hayden

Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

I’d wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he’d call,
and slowly I would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,

Speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did I know
of love’s austere and lonely offices?

Any others come to mind among you folks?

What about my little poem that I wrote a few weeks ago . . . my "Wood is good" . . . I'm sure it will be right up there someday with the Burns and Frost poems. ;)

The joy of late love is like green firewood when set aflame, for the longer the wait in lighting, the greater heat it yields and the longer its force lasts....Chrétien de Troyes.

firefighterjake said:
What about my little poem that I wrote a few weeks ago . . . my "Wood is good" . . . I'm sure it will be right up there someday with the Burns and Frost poems. ;)

Funny that. I missed it but found that thread shortly after posting this thread. Googled firewood poetry to see if'n there'd be some others I hadn't thought of.

Yours was at the top of pg. 2 on my hitlist.

lgmp0163+homer-simpson-doh-the-simpsons-mini-poster.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.