Woodland Pro Chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccwhite

Oct 14, 2008
Steubenville, OH
Just picked up two 18" loops of Woodland Pro chainsaw chain. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WPL+30RC66&catID=11810 Fantastic cutting!!! As good or better than the Stihl chain, and I've been a firm believer in Stihl chains. I would not have an Oregon chain. Running them on a Stihl ROLLOMATIC E Standard 18" bar. and they run through seasoned black locust (AKA organic steel) like it was poplar. I am really impressed. We'll see how they hold up in the long run. Got the advice on here about a year ago to give em a try and finally did. Anyone thinking of trying them, don't wait a year they were only $13 each and a dozen files were only $10. :)

Have you tried the files yet? I'll need some more real soon,been wanting to try them out.Northern has that same brand,$15 for a dozen.There's a store about 5 miles from me,I'll head over in a few days. That chain sounds good too,may pick up a couple while I'm there.

Haven't used the files yet but they look fine. Plain ol' 7/32" round files. I just thought that was cheap. I never bought a dozen before. They're a couple bucks a piece at least to pick em up one or two at a time.

I know one thing,the Oregon files sold now are crap compared to the ones I was using 20+ yrs ago.I want to go back to the old full chisel chain like it was then also.Those safety chain loops Oregon's sold for a while are a real pain in the ass.My 24" & 36" chains are skip tooth,which really speeds up the cutting in larger material.

Just wait till you try to hand file them!!!

I like the chains myself but I find myself taking them to the dealer to sharpen..... After a time or two they don't like it when I bring them in.. Kinda hard on the rock I guess....

Hard as nails they say round here....

Woodland Pro chains always feel as good as Stihl, but then I start cutting and think they dull up more quickly. Let us know about longevity.

S

southbound said:
Just wait till you try to hand file them!!!

I like the chains myself but I find myself taking them to the dealer to sharpen..... After a time or two they don't like it when I bring them in.. Kinda hard on the rock I guess....

Hard as nails they say round here....

+1 But they are a good chain if you prefer grinding your chains.

Brand new chains always seem like the best EVER! I get husky chains from my local dealer. I would rather they get the money and stay in business than fedex and others...

CTwoodburner said:
Brand new chains always seem like the best EVER! I get husky chains from my local dealer. I would rather they get the money and stay in business than fedex and others...

I would love it if the local dealers would carry more choice's...I had to break down and buy a 14 inch .043 yesterday $20.76 cents
WOW! with a 6 pack of one shots 31.83 out the door....Stihl shaking my head....

woodland pro 41inch comes in around the same price 23.00bucks. 141 drive lenks

This is what I am going to try for the first time on Sunday 30+ TREES need drop see how it does.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Oregon-chai...171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af69a1bb

ccwhite said:
...they were only $13 each...
I can't believe some people will pay close to that much just to get them sharpened.

southbound said:
Jay that chain will do well...

I have a few loops and I like it...

It just seems to stretch faster on a stihl bar...

running my gd 20 inch bar Sunday.

My brother-in-law's dad er uh my sister's father-in-law ... Tom. Tom and I were cutting together a year or 2 ago. Nothing tough just clearing pine. He has the identical saw as me, Stihl 039 with 18" bar. After cutting for a while we both stopped and he asked me "You're running a Stihl chain aren't you?" I said "Yeh, Why?". His answer surprised me because I hadn't been watching him at all just cutting. (Cutting pine is fun because the saw just flies through it!) He said "You're outcutting me 2 to 1." He assured me that he'd had been facing the right direction that I was in his field of view while he was cutting and he could see how much faster I was getting through the wood than he was. He told me that he was using an Oregon chisel chain. He sharpened it up (to make sure he hadn't hit a rock or a nail or something that he didn't notice) while we were taking a little break and fueling up. I just fueled up. We went back to work and sure enough that Oregon chain couldn't keep up with the Stihl chain. I picked his saw up later by accident and noticed something was wrong once I started cutting. Amazed me. He and I have both run strictly Stihl chains since. I will let him know how this experiment with the Woodland pro chains goes.

I'll get out and cut some more this weekend.

ccwhite said:
Just picked up two 18" loops of Woodland Pro chainsaw chain. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WPL+30RC66&catID=11810 Fantastic cutting!!! As good or better than the Stihl chain, and I've been a firm believer in Stihl chains. I would not have an Oregon chain. Running them on a Stihl ROLLOMATIC E Standard 18" bar. and they run through seasoned black locust (AKA organic steel) like it was poplar. I am really impressed. We'll see how they hold up in the long run. Got the advice on here about a year ago to give em a try and finally did. Anyone thinking of trying them, don't wait a year they were only $13 each and a dozen files were only $10. :)

I have the MS290 and 20" bar and the 2 chains it came with and thinking of getting a bit more aggressive chain... without attempting to find the box they came in I have no idea about pitch and guage and all that, is this chain your talking about going to work on my saw (20" version of course)?

Last time I was in the woods I cut a cord of that hard, dry, dead locust... I know exactly what your talking about. Maybe its the Ohio black locust! Where I was cutting was within an hour roughly of Stuebenville, near Mechanicstown.

As someone else said above, new equipment always seems great, report back after a few resharpenings. I'd be really interesting in your findings after then...

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
ccwhite said:

I have the MS290 and 20" bar and the 2 chains it came with and thinking of getting a bit more aggressive chain... without attempting to find the box they came in I have no idea about pitch and guage and all that, is this chain your talking about going to work on my saw (20" version of course)?

Last time I was in the woods I cut a cord of that hard, dry, dead locust... I know exactly what your talking about.

As someone else said above, new equipment always seems great, report back after a few resharpenings. I'd be really interesting in your findings after then...

Check your bar it will be stamp what you have. Then post what you find.

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
ccwhite said:

Last time I was in the woods I cut a cord of that hard, dry, dead locust... I know exactly what your talking about.

It will work if you get the right chain...

.325 or .375

The Stihl website shows all chain, bar, and sprocket combinations.

ccwhite said:
My brother-in-law's dad er uh my sister's father-in-law ... Tom. Tom and I were cutting together a year or 2 ago. Nothing tough just clearing pine. He has the identical saw as me, Stihl 039 with 18" bar. After cutting for a while we both stopped and he asked me "You're running a Stihl chain aren't you?" I said "Yeh, Why?". His answer surprised me because I hadn't been watching him at all just cutting. (Cutting pine is fun because the saw just flies through it!) He said "You're outcutting me 2 to 1." He assured me that he'd had been facing the right direction that I was in his field of view while he was cutting and he could see how much faster I was getting through the wood than he was. He told me that he was using an Oregon chisel chain. He sharpened it up (to make sure he hadn't hit a rock or a nail or something that he didn't notice) while we were taking a little break and fueling up. I just fueled up. We went back to work and sure enough that Oregon chain couldn't keep up with the Stihl chain. I picked his saw up later by accident and noticed something was wrong once I started cutting. Amazed me. He and I have both run strictly Stihl chains since. I will let him know how this experiment with the Woodland pro chains goes.

I'll get out and cut some more this weekend.

Tom can't sharpen a pencil!
OREGON CHAIN kicks ass!

Been running the Carlton/Woodland pro Chisel and semi-chisel for a couple years now.

It's not as smooth cutting as Stihl RMC/RSC or Oregon LGX as it is not a low vibration chain design.
Vibes don't bug me as much as some folks though and I really don't notice it much.

Otherwise, the Woodland Pro holds up as well as, or better than Stihl in our sandy high silica trees around here, which is my main concern.
Oregon LGX is made out of crusty dog terds, and needs touching up on every tank even with relatively clean unskidded wood..I hate it.

Speed wise, I used to run nothing but Stihl in 3/8 and .325. I'd put the Carlton/Woodland pro Semi-chisel as dead even with Stihl RMC, and the full chisel just slightly behind Stihl RSC.

The trick to filing, is to use a finer toothed file on the better chains.
The elcheapo Oregon and Windsor files, are too course to do more than skitter and stutter on the thicker and harder chrome on the Stihl and Carlton cutters.
With the finer files, you get a smoother cut and remove less per swipe, but get a better edge.
If the file is skating, just keep making passes untill it bites.
Grinding wheels operated by the unskilled, trash good chains and cost folks good money.
Touch up on every other tank, and every time you rock out, and you can take a chain down to the nubbins without needing a grinder...unless ya find wire.;)

On the .325 Carlton/WP I'm kinda looking to go back to running Stihl RMC. The WP isn't offered in semi-chisel just chisel, and no Chisel chain will hold up worth a tinkers damn on skidded high silica content Hickory. It's almost as fast as RSC though, and does hold up better than the Oregon LPX that costs almost half again as much.
If a guy is cutting clean wood, the .325 WP RC is a bargain!

Dingeryote - you seem to contradict yourself if I am reading you properly... "the Woodland Pro holds up as well as, or better than Stihl in our sandy high silica trees around here" but later say your wanting to go back to running Stihl RMC, apparently because its wont hold up on your high silica hickory...

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
Dingeryote - you seem to contradict yourself if I am reading you properly... "the Woodland Pro holds up as well as, or better than Stihl in our sandy high silica trees around here" but later say your wanting to go back to running Stihl RMC, apparently because its wont hold up on your high silica hickory...

He's talking about chisel versus semi-chisel...apparently semi isn't offered in the WP .325 that he needs. He needs the semi to hold up to the silica. It sounds like he'll continue running WP semi-chisel in the 3/8" pitch.

Ed

localLEE said:
Maybe so, or maybe the Oregon was a safety chain. Did Tom's sharpening skills improve when he switched to Stihl? Probably an apples to oranges or a green to yellow comparison.

I don't buy safety chain and I won't buy Oregon chain anymore after I cut with Stihl. Stihl seems to hold an edge much longer. Are you going to say I can't sharpen a pencil either? I sharpen the Stihl chain the same way I sharpen the Oregon.

LLigetfa said:
localLEE said:
Maybe so, or maybe the Oregon was a safety chain. Did Tom's sharpening skills improve when he switched to Stihl? Probably an apples to oranges or a green to yellow comparison.

I don't buy safety chain and I won't buy Oregon chain anymore after I cut with Stihl. Stihl seems to hold an edge much longer. Are you going to say I can't sharpen a pencil either? I sharpen the Stihl chain the same way I sharpen the Oregon.
Nah ,,,you prolly sharpen just fine.
I'm going out on a limb and say you nose dive your saw in the dirt to much!
There is a way to cut muddy wood without dulling a chain.
If there was that much difference in the chain Oregon wood be out of business.
There a reason more loggers run it than Stihl chain.

localLEE said:
Nope. I buy ony Winter cut wood, processed with modern equipment that doesn't skid it on the ground. My wood monger sets it up off the ground on stringers. My aim is dead on... if'n I cut on the ground, I put pressure on the round with my foot and I nose it just far enough that the bark breaks off, or I roll the log and finish the cuts with the top of my bar.

localLEE said:
Ja, in the old days I cut lots on the landing where the wood was dirty from skidding. It's a very tricky manouver and one I am even hesitant to describe here since it can easily result in kickback, but esentially you plunge cut into the wood and cut outward from the inside, rolling the cut so the dirt is not pulled into the kerf.

localLEE said:
LLigetfa said:
localLEE said:

If there was that much difference in the chain Oregon wood be out of business.
There a reason more loggers run it than Stihl chain.

I have never ran the oregon, But I will know for sure Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.