Woodlot Management questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayY

Dec 26, 2006
Western NY
I have a woodlot, about 30 acres. I am a bit scatterbrained on my management goals in that I see the value of managing it for wildlife, timber and firewood (for my own use). My lot is a mixed bag of poplar, hemlock, beech, red oak, cherry, birch, and maple. I would like to hear some real world examples of how others are managing their lots and how successful their efforts have proven. Links to the best online resources would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Jay

Hi Jay,

My friends bought 40 acres last year and took a forestry management class to learn how best to maintain the property. Perhaps there's something like that in your region?

As for the web, google "forestry management"

A Forestry management search at google returns 47,600,000 hits. I have looked at a lot of this and I think I have a handle on it but I didn't want to take the chance I missed a great site just cause it didn't show up on the top 200 in the list. The forest management class is defeineately a good idea. thanks

Yes, that's a lot to sift through. Add NY to the search to narrow it down. Do you plan to do long term conservation management? If yes, you may want to look at the tax benefits enacted in NY last year.
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dlf/tcr.html

Here are some other NY state specific links:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dlf/privland/privassist/help.html
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dlf/privland/forprot/health/nyfo/protect.pdf

And maybe contact these folks?
http://www.nyfoa.org/

I think your goals can all be achieved. In just a real basic summary, you would want to start harvesting dead, dying, and/or diseased trees then look for trees that are mis-shapen, ratty, laying on their side, lots of storm damage, etc - I have seen these called 'wolf' trees. I would thin 30 acres would easily supply firewood needs for the rest of your life and you would probably hardly even know you had been there cutting.

Scavenging a few places around here, I'm easily able to keep up with my wood needs. Most everything is already laying on the ground that I cut.

Corey

Google the New York Forest Owners Association. They have a monthly magazine and other useful information for NY landowners.

Basically though, just do what cozy said, i.e., start by removing the downed timber and obviously undesirable trees of each species. Leave den trees, but start with the worst specimens. Then, as you develop a longterm management plan, you'll still have the flexibility to do what's most appropriate.

JayY said:
I have a woodlot, about 30 acres. I am a bit scatterbrained on my management goals in that I see the value of managing it for wildlife, timber and firewood (for my own use). My lot is a mixed bag of poplar, hemlock, beech, red oak, cherry, birch, and maple. I would like to hear some real world examples of how others are managing their lots and how successful their efforts have proven. Links to the best online resources would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Jay

Jay, you mentioned wildlife. We have 40+ acres and look at our woodlot as a scource for our firewood for the rest of our life, lumber needs and also try to manage it for wildlife; mainly deer. It sounds as if our woods is very close to yours with just a few differences.

This year we sold a lot of firewood, that is, we had a crew come in and cut because we simply can not keep up with the woods. We had them cut and leave all the tops in the woods and they then skidded the logs into the field to cut them up. Along with these tops, in some other areas we also have done some hinge cutting for deer bedding areas. It might not look the prettiest but hinge cutting works great for holding deer on your land. Certainly you won't be cutting much poplar, hemlock or birch for firewood so you can use these areas for wildlife.

Even with all we've cut, we still have plenty of trees for logs (lumber) and firewood. We also may need another crew to come in to cut as we have the emerald ash borer (in white ash) making itself known. btw, we have about 4-5 years firewood cut now. Best to keep plenty on hand and let it season good.

Keep smiling!
Dennis

Buy Erics dads book too.

Baileys has it........................ The Good Woodcutters Guide
I refer to it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.