woodmaster geyser

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timberjack450

Jan 10, 2015
Barlow Ohio
Hello I have a problem with my woodmaster 5500. When it is full of water it is fine until the blower fires up, then it blowes water and steam out of the vent, sometimes 4 feet in the air, and you can hear what sounds like boiling inside, its only at 140 degrees and the fan shuts down at 150. I checked the temp with another themometer just to be sure. I am also going through a lot of water, like 75 gallons a day, can't see any leaks just a lot of steam and water blowing out the vent

I looked at the Woodmaster website details on the 5500 which shows the design is "A core fire box is surrounded by a water jacket." That is, like a pressure cooker surrounded by a burner on all sides. Fill the pressure cooker with water, put a hot fire on all sides, and it will blow steam and water out the vent as the water expands from heating, then boiling, then explosive pressurized expansion from steam. Simple problem may be that you are over-filling the boiler and/or you have no expansion vessel. Talk to your dealer or Woodmaster about proper installation and operation of this disaster waiting to happen if installed or operated improperly.

Check the area where the stack is welded to the boiler body. Woodmaster has had a lot of failures in that area and in fact has a "repair kit" of sorts that can be rewelded there after you cut out the old stack. It's another classic example of a worthless warranty,

I just looked at one last week that was leaking like a sieve in that spot.
We have a Garn 2000 on a hot rush order for him and hope to get it installed for him within the next couple weeks.
Funny how these things never break in the summer.........

Sure sounds like you have a leak. When the fan kicks in, it pressurizes the fire box & blows air/flue gasses into the water jacket - then everywhere.

Reactions: woodsmaster
Sure sounds like you have a leak. When the fan kicks in, it pressurizes the fire box & blows air/flue gasses into the water jacket - then everywhere.[/quot
Sure sounds like you have a leak. When the fan kicks in, it pressurizes the fire box & blows air/flue gasses into the water jacket - then everywhere.

That's what I thought, I am going to use air and pressure the water jacket to about 10 pounds and see if I can find the leak

Status
Not open for further replies.