1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

WoodMizer 1000

Post in 'The Gear' started by thewoodlands, Aug 24, 2011.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

zap

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I watch one at the state fair, very cool.....
  3. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Was that at Boonville Zap? Looks like I missed a lot of action for an Oak that didn't happen.
  4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Yes, I caught it in action on Sunday before we left.

zap
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Very cool but enough to send me to the poor house. (got one foot in there already) :lol:
  6. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Heard that Jay, makes a used 880 and the csm look pretty appealing.
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Yes it does. Going to do a large shed soon with tulip and I can bust the softer woods pretty quick or at-least quick enough for my project. Oh and sell off the nice stuff. Keeps the saws turning and a small profit...
    Seems everyone looks at buying slabs in the winter, summer you cant get crap out of them.
  8. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line

But this one would handle the logs you're cutting and is very affordable. $3K on sale right now.

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/PortableEquipment/ManualSawmills/LT10Sawmill.aspx

Lots faster, less gas, no bar oil, and way less waste on those premium logs you are milling.
  9. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    That is not a bad deal when you consider a good 90 cc saw is a grand plus mill attachment and speed difference. I am sure it is not as portable but speed is big. 24 inches is OK but does make limitations.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

So you'd still need a CS Mill to shave the bigguns down to 24". I like the "Carry-In/Out" portability of the CS Mills.
  11. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I hear ya....On a shoestring budget with 1 broken string. :lol: At least these 12 hr days for a while will take the edge off.If I dont keel over soon haha.Another reason I'm glad to be at least 3 yrs ahead on wood. :coolgrin:
  12. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Ah I am not dogging the band mill they have there place....Just not for me and a 120+cc is more like a couple grand. ;-) I seen one at the state fair that could do 28 inchs it was a demo 12K. Now if you had a 20k loader now you can compete with the local saw mills....I am not that good! :cheese:
  13. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    No chance! Last one I done was a 36 inch bw it would have folded that mill in half. Time its all said and done 2500.00 with a new 880 and you can take it into very tight spots. I also can see the band would be the way to go for some.
  14. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    Oh, I'm not saying the Alaska milll is a bad investment at all. Soon as I get a big saw (almost sprung for a 7900 at Boonville last week), first thing I'm gonna do is get it set up for milling. I need the big saw for other reasons, so adding the mill setup is a no brainer. Eventually, though, things get small enough to where the band mill just shines by comparison. Just knocking off the sides of a 30" log will get you down around 24". A 24" cant is a pretty good size hunk of wood. Make the cant with the chain mill and plank it on the band mill is the way I eventually want to go.
  15. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I've got the loader, I can get the logs, I am just not that ambitous right now. It comes in handy even with the Alaskan Sawmill as I can bring the logs where I want them and raise them up to table height to make it easy on the back.
  16. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Yea thats as good as it gets....