Woodpile, Before & After, rented splitter today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
Well, today I broke down and rented a splitter. I had a bunch of rounds sitting around needing to be split. Some were pretty good size and would be tough to split with a mall.
I got it from Taylor rental, cost about $100 for the day. HD wouldn’t rent me one because I didn’t have a receiver hitch on my truck. I did manage to split everything I had; it did take me all day to do it. I took pics before and after. Looks like a pretty good pile o wood, I think the inspector approves.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 867
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 861
Nice day's work. Lots of day's warmth.

Good job.

Good going. This just reminds me of what all I need to cut and split and it is 100 degrees out here now. (oklahoma)

Whew! I'm tired just looking at it. Looks like your wood shed needs a roof?

Holy Cow! that a lot for 1 days work...you must be a young pup.

Old pups can work too. Loaded just shy of 3 cords into the shed today.

Attachments

• shedfull_web.jpg
    shedfull_web.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 656
Well, I'm not quite a young pup (anymore), I'm pushing 50. It was a pretty good workout, and I am a little sore this morning but not too bad.
You are right the woodshed needs a roof, that's the next project. I am planning to make a retractable tarp roof. I will post some pics when it's done.

BeGreen said:

I see you did add those extra roof braces, good man. Thats a nice looking woodshed.

BeGreen said:

Alright, now what about the other half? ;-)

Chris

Thanks Hog. Yep, I know better than to second guess an expert roofer and appreciate the guidance. She's stout, bolted down solid and should outlast me.

Chris, I have a possible lead on some free locust. Waiting to see. That will be for next year though. I've never burned more than 3 cords in our mild climate.

So how did you get that thing home without a hitch?

Nice work!! I will be new wood burner this year. I rented the splitter twice so far and got enourmous amounts of would split. It does feel good to accomplish what you have done. Now kick back and relax for a bit.

CTwoodburner said:
So how did you get that thing home without a hitch?

Why would you need a receiver hutch, anyway? Splitters don't weigh much and don't even have lights.

Adios, I think he really meant after and before, ya goof! :)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.