woodpile looks like S..T!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
raking leaves and noticed alot blown into wood pile, under pallets etc, could these have been blocking air flow to the wood from underneath, my wood looks like crap! My pile extends the whole length of my backyard, kinda like a fence, i keep the top covered, lots of it grey, some just down right dark dark brown, moldy looking junk, I know alot of it was scrounged, is this from water, age, jealous of the cool looking pictures of erics, saw warrens in person, mine just looks like s..t man!

Time to start scrounging pallets man

hers a pic of new and old

Attachments

• IMG0019.JPG
    IMG0019.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 919
Thats one of my issues as well. I live in a subdivision, and I try to be considerate of the neighbors. I stack against the side of the garage to help "hide" it a little (next years wood), which also causes the wood to dry allot slower.

I do have a dog ear fenced in area for my dry "ready to burn wood". It looks nice, holds 2.5 full cord, but while it blocks the view of a large pile of wood, it limits air flow.

Sure would like to find another solution. KD

kd460 said:
Thats one of my issues as well. I live in a subdivision, and I try to be considerate of the neighbors. I stack against the side of the garage to help "hide" it a little (next years wood), which also causes the wood to dry allot slower.

I do have a dog ear fenced in area for my dry "ready to burn wood". It looks nice, holds 2.5 full cord, but while it blocks the view of a large pile of wood, it limits air flow.

Sure would like to find another solution. KD

Maybe your a candidate to try building a Holz Hausen. See avatar.

You should stop by now. With all the leaves around, there's a whole lot between my stacks too. Time to get out the leaf blower.

Your wood doesn't look any worse than mine, hardwood. If you dry your wood outside, it gets all grey and crummy looking. But as Dylan points out, all that matters is that it burns, and wood that looks like yours is going to burn well. What you want to do is either stack some of it inside or at least under cover so that it has a chance to dry our fairly completely before you try to burn it. However, that doesn't take long with wood that's dried out well at one time.

Don't let the leafs get to hi or deep. Years ago when we could burn them I came home and the wood pile was on fire!! A gust of wind had blown some sparks from the neighbors leaf fire into the leafs that had gathered around my pile. A small fire was burning up my supply of winter heating wood. I had to knock down one end of the pile to put it out.

hardwood715 said:
raking leaves and noticed alot blown into wood pile, under pallets etc, could these have been blocking air flow to the wood from underneath, my wood looks like crap! My pile extends the whole length of my backyard, kinda like a fence, i keep the top covered, lots of it grey, some just down right dark dark brown, moldy looking junk, I know alot of it was scrounged, is this from water, age, jealous of the cool looking pictures of erics, saw warrens in person, mine just looks like s..t man!
Your wood looks great! Very well seasoned. Seasoned wood does not need to "look" pretty. It's not lumber. I think you will be pleased with the way it burns. Not "moldy looking junk" by a long shot!

My only thought was that it looks like the slats of your pallets are inline with the direction of your stacked wood. I setup my piles with the slats perpendicular to the wood so that I'd get better airflow to all parts of the pile, not just the pieces that happened to be over a hole. Of course this is my first year doing this so I'll defer to the experts on that one...

Eric

Well, I feel alot better knowing that crappy looking wood burns OK! Thanks guys for making my day! Yeah the pallets do go in line with the wood, there used to be hedges back there, and I get the weeds and crap also growing through the pallet slats. good idea to turn them around! Man I bet you were pissed Driftwood, damn burning up your hard work, and heat supply! My neighbor is one reason why I thought my pile looks like crap, always complaining, same one who has a chia pet for a chimney cap, i gotta get a pic of her chimney and show you guys, wish she'd try to light a fire, no, i wouldnt wish that on my own enemy, shes got ivy growing into her chimney, quads warren, eric, dylan all of yas, thanks for the cheer me up!

Your wood stack looks fine.

HarryBack said:
:cheese: dont fret, in my opinion, they ALL look like sh*t.

Amen. Much better to have a pile of sacks of rabbit poop.

Hardwood I know I feel you pain when one see a log pile looking like that.
However I got good news for yeah. Next time down your way, I will bring my pk truck and help you get rid of the grey looking wood

elkimmeg said:
Hardwood I know a nd feel you pain when one see a log pole looking like that.
However I got good news for yeah. Next time down your way, I will bring my pk truck and help you get rid of the grey looking wood

I'll take the wet stuff on the bottom, I just started burning some oak found in sewer dig, black stained and water saturated. It was buried deep under ground and wet for decades. Cut, split, dried and burns just fine. It is funny looking stuff though black as coal, though and through.

Dirftwood-still can't get over your post, woodpile fire, man I woulda been pissed! I'll tell ya, I am glad I made this post cause I was really wondering what the heck was wrong, no sun etc, its on a south side, but I think sun gets to wood.Gonna restack, modify pallets underneath, and burn the blackwood like coal!

I've built a bunch of racks using brackets and 2x4's. Keeps the wood off the ground is is 8' wide; just right size for a black tarp. Not as cheap as using pallets but higher off the ground an looks a tad better.

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/DIY-PROJCTPAD06.pdf

-d

Status
Not open for further replies.