Woodpile management

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I started into winter with about 5-1/2 cords of seasoned birch.
Here in Alaska we have 3 real cold months, Dec thru Feb.
Since I don't have enough to heat the house the whole winter, I burn on the days
it's below 30 °F . When above 30, I let the 2X4 box on the wall, manage the house temp
at 68 in the day & 66 at night.
The woodpile management I use is to try to alway have about a cord of seasoned wood in the pile.
This is the emergency wood, in case of a major "earthquake", N gas line break, power outage etc.
A cord will get me thru about 3 weeks if really cold, & 4 weeks if I need to miser it.

I plan/planned to have more wood, but don't. So I manage it with care. Now I'm burning because "I
want to" & it saves the N gas bill $ & it's been -10 to +10 °F . But when down to 1 cord left, the thermostat takes over.
Having that cord of wood in reserve, just in case "I need to burn wood" is as much like the reason I installed
a wood stove, "Emergency back-up". I like to save $ & the warmth & feel of a good wood fire is a "want".
The "need" to burn wood, may be essential to protect my home & stay warm in the event of an emergency.

Tip: never burn all the wood you have, save some just in case you may "need" it.

use the wood till it is all gone.
its silly to have wood on hand when you could be heating your home with it.
scrounge up more wood.
im on my first season of wood burning and i am not ashamed to pick up any wood that will produce BTU's.
however now that i have a god source of wood, i can be a wood snob and turn down green stuff and low BTU species.

par0thead151 said:
use the wood till it is all gone.
its silly to have wood on hand when you could be heating your home with it.
scrounge up more wood.
im on my first season of wood burning and i am not ashamed to pick up any wood that will produce BTU's.
however now that i have a god source of wood, i can be a wood snob and turn down green stuff and low BTU species.
If I had a source of wood from God, I would be more thankful, and not be such a snob. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.