Woodshed and clean up project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I have intended to build a woodshed for years. as time went by my wood storage area fell into dissaray....last year I hardly put up any wood at all and in fact all I did was split it and pile it....I started going thru everything a week ago and I am discovering a HUGE amount of rot. This is really gonna hurt me because I think that I only had about 4 cords of wood total...maybe less. I usally burn more than that. I put in this wood shed as cheaply as I possibly could. Just a tarp roof. I will probably come up with some kind of side for it, most likely tarps, since that will be the cheapest way to go.

Here is a look at it before we started....
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/Huntindad/Projects/woodmess.jpg

and here is what we started working toward.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/Huntindad/Projects/2mooks2.jpg

I put my two boys to work on this one....even started my 12 year old with the splitting axe today. He did well. 2 rounds and a few partials by himself, after mowing the lawn and stacking wood for an hour.

....even started my 12 year old with the splitting axe today. He did well. 2 rounds and a few partials by himself, after mowing the lawn and stacking wood for an hour.

He must be the one that's not smiling.

Dave that'll work in a pinch...if I were you I'd run some 1x3 furring strips 16 on center along the top to support the tarp when you get some wet snow or ice.

It beats every thing I have right now which is open sky with a few clouds. :)

Looks good! Nice to see the boys helping, reminds me of the old days when kids were made/ happy to help out dad!

Tie that tarp down good Dave. Looks like Hannah is going to turn north and roll over us after it comes ashore in the Carolinas. If you don't tie it down I will grab it as it goes by here.

Dave - Looking good. I am pretty sure that you will want some additional support for your tarp roof. Snow/ice load is gonna play heck with that, anywhere that it sags a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.