Woodshed Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 6 or 7 cords on the ground to the left of the frame. It's been in the rain and will go through the storm tonight uncovered.

I wonder of I should start stacking it or wait until summer. What do you guys think?

We have sunny, rain free days from May until November or December. There is no rain at all during these months and it is very dry. Sometimes the rains will stop in April or even March.

We get a lot of rain from November to May. We are expecting 8" the next two days. We average 49" per year over these months.

The firewood is wet. Some is split, some is not. I am leaning toward leaving it until it stops raining and the sun is out for a couple of months. If I stack after work and over weekends it should dry out.
Fill that baby up, the wind will dry out the wood and it'll stay that way once under shelter.

I have 6 or 7 cords on the ground to the left of the frame. It's been in the rain and will go through the storm tonight uncovered.

I wonder of I should start stacking it or wait until summer. What do you guys think?

We have sunny, rain free days from May until November or December. There is no rain at all during these months and it is very dry. Sometimes the rains will stop in April or even March.

We get a lot of rain from November to May. We are expecting 8" the next two days. We average 49" per year over these months.

The firewood is wet. Some is split, some is not. I am leaning toward leaving it until it stops raining and the sun is out for a couple of months. If I stack after work and over weekends it should dry out.

Fill it up!

Also sweet trailer! I could use one of that quality!

My wife has been stacking wood in the shed. She doesn't want me to do it because she would rather have me work other projects and she says I don't stack as well as she does. I'm not arguing.

100_1166_zpsb4eabcea.jpg

Jill with the wood dog (10 month old Great Dane)

100_1167_zps2bfb20bd.jpg

To the shed

100_1169_zpsf77e961a.jpg

Goofy boys

These photos were taken on 12/23/2014.

This is where we are today:

100_1204_zpsab657ee7.jpg

It is almost 1/2 full.

I built the shed for 2 years of firewood. I may have over 3 years on the ground. Back to blue tarps. :(

Nice cub and trailer. Shed looks great too.

Nice cub and trailer. Shed looks great too.

Thanks. That's a 1000 (Aug 1977). I have a 1450 (Jan 1975) that I brought back from the dead. It came with a IH #2 tiller and a box scraper.

The splitter is a LIckety Log Splittter EK308. I don't know how old iit is but I do know the company went out of business in 1982.

I love vintage equipment. I grew up on that 1000 so it is special to me.

Those are some nice looking trees in the background - what types of trees do you have growing out there and what do you burn?
Nice looking shed!

On our property we have redwoods, bay, oak and madrone. The big trees in the pictures are redwoods.

I mostly burn eucaluptus, oak and madrone in that order of preference. I got the wood we are burning this year when they widened Highway 1. The first thing they did was cut down the oaks. To make a long story short they are now in my yard cut, slpit and stacked.

We burn a little more than 3 cords a year. I think I have 3 year's worth of firewood on the ground. I guess I'm back to blue tarps. :(

We burn a little more than 3 cords a year.
That seems like a lot of wood to burn in a place where you don't get snow???
Just over 3 cords is how much we use per year, and we get plenty of cold winter weather here. But maybe you are heating a big drafty house?

Our house is well insulated. The trouble is my wife spent her early years in Southern California. We have a difference of opinion on what temperature the house should be kept at.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.