Woodshed Gravel Floor: Landscape Fabric?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple

Aug 27, 2015
Vancouver Island
I'm nearly finished my woodshed, a 12x10 with two bays. I've decided on a 2" deep gravel floor but I'm wondering if I should put down some landscape fabric before the gravel.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, it is quite rainy (well who knows what the new climate will be after the century drought we just finished). I have 2' overhang on the roof on all sides.

The ground is soft, loamy dirt, but the area should be well drained.

I'm wondering if I have to worry about weeds (it will be very shaded from the sun), or if the gravel will just sink into the dirt.

But if I put down landscaping fabric, won't the dirt/dust/barkmulch from the wood just accumulate on top of the paper anyway? The wood we get up here is a mix of fir and spruce, and it always generates a decent pile of mulch wherever it's stacked.

Thanks for your thoughts!

why worry about weeds in the woodshed?

They wont grow under the wood and your feet wll take care of the rest.

Dirt/bark the floor of my woodshed, no problems

I put some down before the gravel in mine, just for peace of mind.

Having inherited several hundred square feet of gravel over weed barrier when I bought my house, I can say that it doesn't take long for organic matter to accumulate enough for weeds to take hold. In other words, don't waste money on a weed barrier. Also, I cut down a bush in said gravel and stacked wood on pallets over it, and NOTHING grew under that, except a single stump-sprout from the bush...which I promptly ripped off.

I had a bunch of yard work (lawn expansion) done in '06. At the same time I put 4 to 6" of 3/4" gravel under my 2nd story deck. The 3' around the edges got weed block fabric. I am pretty religious about keeping the area clean (wood dirt picked up and leaves blown off). I have had ZERO issues with weeds or grass trying to encroach on the area.

Reactions: chazcarr
Thanks all!
I'll probably skip the fabric. I read on another post here it can sink in the dirt, but by the end of one season, it will be loaded with dirt/mulch overtop, so it probably won't be worth the fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.