Woodsplitter Info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
New to the forum...looks like you guys have great topics, etc. I browsed a bit before my 1st post! Anyway, my questions revolve around woodsplitters. I split about 20 cords a year....maybe a little more and I'm in the market for a woodsplitter. I've always had used ones and one particular splitter I use now is basically falling apart every year....it's time to move on. I have had several spliters and they've varied in quality/price. I'm eyeing up a new one (for once) and was curious on what folks thought of a 27-ton YardMachine with a GCV Honda motor. Seems like a decent unit....but I wonder about getting parts or service or reliability. I know they're MTD...so it shouldn't be too hard for parts...I'm hoping. I've also looked at Ariens and Huskee.....similar models. Any experience out there with this model or similar. Thanks in advance!

American CLS Log Splitters, I think they are in the Rochester area. They run more money but are built to last. We own a 24 ton Vertical/Horizontal American CLS.

You can email Larry off the site.

http://www.americanmsr.com/home.htm

zap

amp said:
New to the forum...looks like you guys have great topics, etc. I browsed a bit before my 1st post! Anyway, my questions revolve around woodsplitters. I split about 20 cords a year....maybe a little more and I'm in the market for a woodsplitter. I've always had used ones and one particular splitter I use now is basically falling apart every year....it's time to move on. I have had several spliters and they've varied in quality/price. I'm eyeing up a new one (for once) and was curious on what folks thought of a 27-ton YardMachine with a GCV Honda motor. Seems like a decent unit....but I wonder about getting parts or service or reliability. I know they're MTD...so it shouldn't be too hard for parts...I'm hoping. I've also looked at Ariens and Huskee.....similar models. Any experience out there with this model or similar. Thanks in advance!

Amp if you check out the gear forum I think you will find that some have been having trouble with a splitter, not sure which make and model.

zap

Yeah, thats the splitter that has a problem with the weld on the trunion. I was going to buy one, too. Now I've decided to go with the 22-ton Huskee from TSC.

Ditto on going with the 22 from TSC

I posted some thoughts on MTD (and the clones) on the other thread . . . I have a MTD 27-ton that so far has been pretty decent . . . other than having to watch the cradle since wood can get wedged easy and snap the original bolts that attach it to the beam . . . other folks with the same machine have had some issues with the welds failing catastrophically . . . right now I'm still using the splitter and adopting a watch and wait mentality.

firefighterjake said:
I posted some thoughts on MTD (and the clones) on the other thread . . . I have a MTD 27-ton that so far has been pretty decent . . . other than having to watch the cradle since wood can get wedged easy and snap the original bolts that attach it to the beam . . . other folks with the same machine have had some issues with the welds failing catastrophically . . . right now I'm still using the splitter and adopting a watch and wait mentality.

Yep, I borrowed a YTD and snapped the bolts - I didn't realize for a while, as the cradle just sits down further - to rest on one of the hoses....

If it was mine I would have drilled the holes out and put decent bolts in there - As I was borrowing it I paid $7 a bolt incl shipping to replace them - they have a triangular cross-section

Status
Not open for further replies.