1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Woodsplitter Info

Post in 'The Gear' started by ampamp, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I don't believe the auto return would be affected by cooler weather . . . rather cooler weather might make the hydraulic action a little more sluggish and work the system a bit harder until the fluid warms up.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    A properly set auto detente valve will not have a problem in cold weather. If it pops out prematurely - just set the pop off pressure a bit higher. Wear and tear on the valves can cause the need for adjustment on rare occasions.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

Thanks for the good words and the question Glenn.

I do indeed just throw the wood onto the ground rather than in a trailer. Simply put, where I throw the wood is where it gets stacked so I see no reason to put it onto a trailer at that point.

Here are two pictures. First one taken as splitting was finished. The second picture was taken from about the same angle a couple weeks later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Hey Dennis, on the first stack, 7th row down, 4 splits from the right side - that one needs to be tapped in about an inch.
  5. chumby

chumby New Member

Loc:
    Hartland, Maine
    I have only put about 9 cords thorugh my 28 ton Huskee but so far it has worked really well. TSC (mostly) prefills the reservoir with hydraulic fluid. The manual indicates for use below 32 deg F that ATF is preferred. Same deal with the motor execpt that I think it came with straight 30W with the recommendation of 5W-30 or 10W-30 for any use below 40 deg F. I changed the oil to 10W-30 synthetic after a few hours of breaking in and topped off the reservoir. My preference would have been to not have it filled with the hydraulic but since it was I just make sure it isn't too cold out. When I make a scheduled fluid change I will go with the ATF. To date it has not encountered anything it did not split.

With a pair of gloves on I haul around the unit by hand since it doesn't need to go far from the garage. I can certainly tow it with the truck or tractor but why bother start either up when 0.25 hp me can get the job done.

I split horizontally though the unit will tip and go vertically.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Thanks Jags. I'll get right on that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.