Woodsplitter Info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
amp said:
Thanks firefighter jake. I guess I missed that post (or forgot about it). That's good info. By they way...yeah the 15-23 cords I'm talking about are the fake kind. They're face cords. I use a Joutl woodstove.....I think its a 3 series. Nice stove. It came with the house damn near new...so I'll use it until we move. I'll be posting quite a bit then too. I see a lot of good info regards to the type of woodstove. You gotta love the soapstone stuff, but we'll see what my next place accomodates. Thanks. So the auto return would def be affected by cold weater, huh? I ask because i saw a demo of a husky 22ton and it was 20 F degrees.....seeemed like the auto return needed to be helped along. Of course, this was early right after it was started. Oil wasnt warm.

I don't believe the auto return would be affected by cooler weather . . . rather cooler weather might make the hydraulic action a little more sluggish and work the system a bit harder until the fluid warms up.

A properly set auto detente valve will not have a problem in cold weather. If it pops out prematurely - just set the pop off pressure a bit higher. Wear and tear on the valves can cause the need for adjustment on rare occasions.

glenng said:
Backwoods Savage said:
amp, I just looked on the website for American Log Splitters. Personally I would not look at them at all because it appears all their models have to be used in the horizontal mode. That is crazy, especially for the amount of wood you will be splitting. Why should anyone have to lift each piece up to split it? Of course they have the log lifters too but why go to the expense? If you split wood like I do, there is no lifting involved. I simple sit there and roll the logs onto the butt plate; no lifting for me.

There is a lot of jabbing and joking that goes along with this horizontal/vertical splitting on this forum but I am serious on the vertical mode for splitting. I would never even dream of buying a splitter that would not operate in vertical mode.

Why on Earth do you throw your firewood on the ground? Why not throw it on a trailer or into a truck and skip picking up 5 tons of wood that you have already handled once? Wood splitting inefficiency ......AAAAhhhhhg!!!!!. You look wiser than the picture shows. I dont understand.

Thanks for the good words and the question Glenn.

I do indeed just throw the wood onto the ground rather than in a trailer. Simply put, where I throw the wood is where it gets stacked so I see no reason to put it onto a trailer at that point.

Here are two pictures. First one taken as splitting was finished. The second picture was taken from about the same angle a couple weeks later.

4-4-09e.gif

Wood-2009e.gif

Hey Dennis, on the first stack, 7th row down, 4 splits from the right side - that one needs to be tapped in about an inch.

I have only put about 9 cords thorugh my 28 ton Huskee but so far it has worked really well. TSC (mostly) prefills the reservoir with hydraulic fluid. The manual indicates for use below 32 deg F that ATF is preferred. Same deal with the motor execpt that I think it came with straight 30W with the recommendation of 5W-30 or 10W-30 for any use below 40 deg F. I changed the oil to 10W-30 synthetic after a few hours of breaking in and topped off the reservoir. My preference would have been to not have it filled with the hydraulic but since it was I just make sure it isn't too cold out. When I make a scheduled fluid change I will go with the ATF. To date it has not encountered anything it did not split.

With a pair of gloves on I haul around the unit by hand since it doesn't need to go far from the garage. I can certainly tow it with the truck or tractor but why bother start either up when 0.25 hp me can get the job done.

I split horizontally though the unit will tip and go vertically.

Thanks Jags. I'll get right on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.