Woodsplitter Video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gandrimp

Feb 12, 2010
South central MO
Finally remembered to take a video but I was all alone so this is the best I could do. Enjoy

This has a kohler 10 hp. Kohler is a very noisey engine but run a long, long time. The wisconsin engines are very tough also.

Did you build this yourself or did someone else build it? I am now accumulating the parts to build my own splitter, because it doesn't seem like anyone makes splitters with all the helpful extras that make splitting easy on the back, atleast not that I can afford. Nice adding the trailer to the splitter and the log lift and crane are definately a plus in my book. Great looking log (toy) splitter you have there.

Built it myself. Its not showroom quality by no means, but I have used it to split near 15 cord in less than a year with probably 12 of that with no help.

Dont get me wrong, my wife will help, she just dont like to do it in the cold, I prefer it being cold, so I split by myself.

Who needs a work table with a beam that big. Nice build. Does that pickup bed dump?

SolarAndWood said:
Who needs a work table with a beam that big. Nice build. Does that pickup bed dump?

No dump on this bed. Yet. I have to find the stuff cheap, plus I hate picking wood off the ground when its already waist high.

Beam weighs 1000 lb and I got it for 100 bucks.

gandrimp -

Is that a blade/bucket edge you used for a wedge and added angle iron to it?

In my "soon-to-be"/ when ever I scrounge enough, splitter, I have almost a half-dozen used dozer edges that I plan on making the wedge; with 5 (4 for the wedge welded to the fifth on the beam) and the 6th as a block (maybe a 7th to beef it up) The dozer they have at work, after we flip it the second time; we toss it. The edges come in 18" sections.
The used edges are worn to heck, but, some of the time I can get a good section to re-work into my "project"

PJF1313 said:
gandrimp -

Is that a blade/bucket edge you used for a wedge and added angle iron to it?

In my "soon-to-be"/ when ever I scrounge enough, splitter, I have almost a half-dozen used dozer edges that I plan on making the wedge; with 5 (4 for the wedge welded to the fifth on the beam) and the 6th as a block (maybe a 7th to beef it up) The dozer they have at work, after we flip it the second time; we toss it. The edges come in 18" sections.
The used edges are worn to heck, but, some of the time I can get a good section to re-work into my "project"

Blade is actually just 2 pieces of 3/4" welded together and sharpened with a torch and then ground to an edge. I had to weld the angle on to get some spread.
I have a piece of a cutting edge that I wanted to use for a second wedge just havent made it yet. Some cutting edges are very brittle and welding doesnt work very well. You'll need to use a 7018 or better for it to ever have a chance of holding. I weld cutting edges on all the time with wire feed to buckets but, that is nowhere near the forces a 25 or 30 ton splitter will put on thing when you have a piece that jars the whole machine when it pops, and yes even as heavy as this thing is it will bounce when you get a real tough block that pops.

Status
Not open for further replies.