Woodsplitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
looking into the purchase of a gas wood splitter..any preferences or toher features that are a must have??

I just bought a Brave EZ split 8ton splitter at Menard's for just over $500. It can split 18" diameter 18" long, and only 138lbs. Also has a quiet 3.5 hp Briggs and Stratton motor. Does the job for me. Made in the USA.

The one I got may be a little over-kill, but it depends on how much wood you actually need to split. I picked up a used "super split" maybe 5 or 6 years ago. They are built out somewhere near the Cape (in Massachusetts), and I think its kind of just more of a hobby by the guy who builds them. If I remember right, I think they were marketing them many years ago in this area It's a really neat design - it's mechanical, not hydraulic - but really simple. I put a new 4hp Honda lawnmower engine on it, and believe it or not - it will split apart most anything you throw at it. It also cycles in about 4 to 5 seconds (yes... seconds) so it does make quick work out of the wood pile. If you can find one of these used in your area for a reasonable price - I'd say... buy it. The last time I looked - I think they were selling for about $1500-2000 new.

If you are looking for a new one, my guess is that you are probably going to be looking for a hydraulic splitter. Overall, I don't think there are really a lot of "features" to really look for. I think the design is usually about the same in most of the ones that you would find out there new, so I'd be a little leery about buying something that is rated as a higher capacity (as far as 10, 15, 25 ton of pressure they may list them at) - I think they will all split the wood. The only thing you may want to compare might be the "cycle time" (how long it takes the ram to go back and forth) - you don't want to be just sitting there working the control, and have the ram just crawling up and back.

If you are looking for new - I think the choices are somewhat limited - maybe just go for the best price for a comparable unit. If you are willing to look at the used, or homemade ones - there's definately a lot of pretty creative people out there that have built them and may no longer have a use for them - depending on the area. My guess is that the prices will be going up pretty quickly through the summer (unless the fuel prices drop - which I doubt).

As far as design/features which may make a difference, would probably include height of the splitter (leaning over a splitter all day can be worse for your back than actually using a maul - and you could get about the same amount done)and maybe, trailering/towing - whether or not you would have to move the splitter around from place to place, depending on where you have the wood.

Hmmm I'd say an Automatic return valve and Horizontal/Verticle positions would be must have. The auto return valve is a nice feature that allows you to let the piston return to start posiion or close to it while your getting another round to split. I prefer to split the wood in the horiznotal mode but when I get huge rounds I split in the verticle mode to save my back a bit. Other features that are nice- some sort of tow package, a wood dislodger, try and compare cycle times the quicker the better if I have two people splitting I am constantly waiting for the piston to retract for my next round, fluid capacity of the splitter the more fluid the cooler the oil stays, on hot days I swear I could cook an egg on the piston, I have a 27ton unit powered by a 5.5 hp honda engine and finally encounter a 24 inch diameter round knotty yellow birch that the piston stalled about half way through so I turned the piece around and split the other half. Funny thing about it was the engine bogged down some but not to the point where it was going to stall. Point being don't be scared about having a relatively small engine unless your doing this commercially. About a dozen of elm rounds later you will be wondering why you didn't make the investment years ago.

Todd, do you live in Vermont?

shoot any bucks out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.