Woodstock Absolute Steel pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

branchburner

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
southern NH
I thought I'd start a new thread on the stove I'm beta testing since there hasn't been too much discussion in the other threads about the pricing and availability. I noticed the first stoves will be available in about a month, and depending on design (six different) will continue to become more available through June, with pre-sell pricing good through March..

The plain version is $1695 and the more ornate models are $1795. Now I realize that is about double the price of a workhorse like the NC30, but a super efficient, low emission cat hybrid w/ 2.4 cu ft firebox at $1695 seems like a pretty good value proposition to me, especially if you add on a $300 tax credit.

My impression is that cat stoves are typically not had for under $2k, which seems like a starting level for serious cat or non-cat stoves from the likes of PE, BK, VC, Jotul and others, whose stoves are often pushing more like $3k for a firebox of this size and weight.

Compared to my slightly smaller Harman, for example, getting this stove for about $1k less would seem like a no-brainer, except for the fact that the Harman is an absolutely beautiful work of art in cast iron. I think that's the next step for Woodstock: matching form to what seems like unbeatable function, value and burn technology. VC seems to have had exactly the opposite problem: the best-looking stoves with one of the worst long-term records of value and performance.

Woodstock steel stoves are not great lookers. They have gotten a very firm NIMLR from the missus. I do agree though that they represent a very good value. The Oakwood is good looking. It wouldn't surprise me if VC did the castings.

LOL. Nope, one roof penetration is enough.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Woodstock steel stoves are not great lookers. They have gotten a very firm NIMLR from the missus. I do agree though that they represent a very good value. The Oakwood is good looking. It wouldn't surprise me if VC did the castings.
Or possibly Travis industries. From what I understand, they are a big player in the foundry business.

.... I think that's the next step for Woodstock: matching form to what seems like unbeatable function, value and burn technology. VC seems to have had exactly the opposite problem: the best-looking stoves with one of the worst long-term records of value and performance.

But the "catch 22 " is that usually when you add to a products' "form", inevitably the price goes up.

And of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder too.

Or possibly Travis industries. From what I understand, they are a big player in the foundry business.
I heard Travis foundry casts mostly irrigation and fishing equipment and that stove parts was a sideline. Not sure how true that is. One of these days when I am near Spokane I should see if i can get a tour. Their portfolio picture does show cast stove doors.
http://www.travispattern.com/portfolio.php

I was told that some of their modern castings like for the Cape Cod are from Europe now.

$1695 for 2.4 cf isn't all that appealing when you add about $2-300 and get 3.2 cf Ideal Steel. That is more comparable to the NC30.

I'm sure it's a great mid sized stove, I would just rather have the same output in a much larger stove.

I heard Travis foundry casts mostly irrigation and fishing equipment and that stove parts was a sideline. Not sure how true that is. One of these days when I am near Spokane I should see if i can get a tour. Their portfolio picture does show cast stove doors.
http://www.travispattern.com/portfolio.php

I was told that some of their modern castings like for the Cape Cod are from Europe now.
I thought it was very strange that Travis didn't handle the early cape cod or the Leyden, they out sourced it to China. Shame on them!
Travis casts parts for Kuma stoves, they make a good quality cast piece, not sure why they would farm it out like they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.