Woodstock Classic retired!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
I was actually looking on their website today for the price of the classic. I just assumed it was the same price as the fireview with the glass. I was thinking about buying one and putting it in my cellar. It says to "Set your own price" but says out of stock as well so do they have any left or are they all done with them? I would love to pick one up but I'm looking for a $500. max stove for the cellar.

I was actually looking on their website today for the price of the classic. I just assumed it was the same price as the fireview with the glass. I was thinking about buying one and putting it in my cellar. It says to "Set your own price" but says out of stock as well so do they have any left or are they all done with them? I would love to pick one up but I'm looking for a $500. max stove for the cellar.
What led me to look was someone has one for sale here for $950.00 otherwise I wouldn't have known they stopped making them..

Ray

Englander would be a good choice especially when they clear them out after the burning season.. The 30NC gets good reviews here..

Ray

What led me to look was someone has one for sale here for $950.00 otherwise I wouldn't have known they stopped making them..

Ray
I saw one on CL a couple months back and he was looking for $450., it looked like it wasn't taken care of but I should have snagged it for that price!

I saw one on CL a couple months back and he was looking for $450., it looked like it wasn't taken care of but I should have snagged it for that price!
Yes they are not cheap! I believe they cost more than the Fireview or very close to the same price..

Ray

You would think they would do that with the Palladian, as well. Since it is the same stove as the Keystone and the Keystone seems to sell more than the Palladian.

You can come and get mine for $900.00.It was used one season.I got the larger Mansfield.The Classic out heats the Fireview .I had a Fireview but returned it since the Classic was a better heater.

You can come and get mine for $900.00.It was used one season.I got the larger Mansfield.The Classic out heats the Fireview .I had a Fireview but returned it since the Classic was a better heater.
I think that's a great deal Rich! That stove was more expensive than the Fireview wasn't it?

Ray

I think that's a great deal Rich! That stove was more expensive than the Fireview wasn't it?

Ray
No the price was the same.The salesman kept trying to steer me to the Fireview.I kept telling him I wanted more heat rather than more looks.The Classic has more soapstone therefore more heat radiance.It's a great stove however too small to heat my drafty basement and first floor so I went with the Mansfield which is just right.

Reactions: raybonz
No the price was the same.The salesman kept trying to steer me to the Fireview.I kept telling him I wanted more heat rather than more looks.The Classic has more soapstone therefore more heat radiance.It's a great stove however too small to heat my drafty basement and first floor so I went with the Mansfield which is just right.

Alot more stone with the classic I would love to see a Woodstock wood burner in person. I have one of their gas stoves, and the soapstone panels aren't as robust. I bet only half an inch thick. Just a veneer over a metal box basically.

I hope the poster jumps on that for $900. The materials alone in that stove are probably worth $600. Ever since I got into buying coins, I tend to think of what something is really worth if you had to break it down to the elements or in some cases melt it down for scrap.

If it was in my budget I would grab that stove in a heartbeat! I spent too much money this year as it is...... Good luck with the sale, shouldn't last long at that price.

If it was in my budget I would grab that stove in a heartbeat! I spent too much money this year as it is...... Good luck with the sale, shouldn't last long at that price.

C'mon...borrow it from a friend. Go hustle up a small tree job. That stove is calling your name. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Alot more stone with the classic I would love to see a Woodstock wood burner in person. I have one of their gas stoves, and the soapstone panels aren't as robust. I bet only half an inch thick. Just a veneer over a metal box basically.

I hope the poster jumps on that for $900. The materials alone in that stove are probably worth $600. Ever since I got into buying coins, I tend to think of what something is really worth if you had to break it down to the elements or in some cases melt it down for scrap.

Let me know if you ever come our way and you can see a Fireview in action.

To clear up about the Classic, I double checked with Woodstock and they have no plans on making any more Classic stoves. However, they will have replacement parts for a long time so will continue to service the older stoves.

Also, the Classic was not as clean burning as the Fireview.

In addition, although it was stated the Classic produced more heat than the Fireview, you will find they are both rated at 55,000 btu.

To clear up about the Classic, I double checked with Woodstock and they have no plans on making any more Classic stoves. However, they will have replacement parts for a long time so will continue to service the older stoves.

In addition, although it was stated the Classic produced more heat than the Fireview, you will find they are both rated at 55,000 btu.
Yes the specs say they are both rated at 55,000 btu so I was surprised that the Fireview didn't throw out the heat that the Classic did.The Classic burned well.They both have the CAT and it does as advertised.

That's curious wonder why the Classic would not burn as clean as the Fireview? They seem similar in size with only obvious difference is no glass on the Classic.. Do you think it is because it took the Classic longer to warm up due to more soapstone?

Ray

That's curious wonder why the Classic would not burn as clean as the Fireview? They seem similar in size with only obvious difference is no glass on the Classic.. Do you think it is because it took the Classic longer to warm up due to more soapstone?

Ray

I think it has more to do with the design. The Classic and old 201 Fireview have the combustion air through the door and the cat and baffle are also a different design than the 205 Fireview.

I think Rich L may feel the Classic puts out a little more heat because the Firebox may be a bit bigger than the newer designed 205 Fireview so it holds a little more wood. I know when I had my Fireview the Fire box didn't measure up to the Woodstock specs.

I think it has more to do with the design. The Classic and old 201 Fireview have the combustion air through the door and the cat and baffle are also a different design than the 205 Fireview.

I think Rich L may feel the Classic puts out a little more heat because the Firebox may be a bit bigger than the newer designed 205 Fireview so it holds a little more wood. I know when I had my Fireview the Fire box didn't measure up to the Woodstock specs.
Sounds like my old CDW which had secondary air enter through the door.. No such thing as an airwash on that old beast!

Ray

Right, the air through the door was a good design many moons ago but better designs are available now.

So, is this because they needed room in their lineup to allow the Progress Hybrid
or...
is there something new on the horizon;hm
They do have a new stove coming, but I suspect it was eliminating a model that wasn't selling as well and was essentially identical to an existing model. I expect them to do the same to either the Keystone or Palladian. Palladian would be my guess to get the ax next.

They do have a new stove coming, but I suspect it was eliminating a model that wasn't selling as well and was essentially identical to an existing model. I expect them to do the same to either the Keystone or Palladian. Palladian would be my guess to get the ax next.
I agree the specs are virtually identical with the exception of the legs the 2 do look much different to me though..They are both rated for a relatively small home so that would be a problem. Woodstock needs a stove for a medium/average sized home 1500-1600 sq. ft. or a bit larger. The PH would fit a larger home so I am thinking a new stove may be in this size range.

Ray

I agree the specs are virtually identical with the exception of the legs the 2 do look much different to me though..They are both rated for a relatively small home so that would be a problem. Woodstock needs a stove for a medium/average sized home 1500-1600 sq. ft. or a bit larger. The PH would fit a larger home so I am thinking a new stove may be in this size range.

Ray
I think the Fireview fits that range.

Think of it this way; The Keystone is a T4, the Fireview is the T5, and the PH is the T6.

Not sure what the new stove will be, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.