Woodstock Fireview a good upgrade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCaver

Nov 21, 2011
United States
For the past few seasons we've been burning using the stove that came with our house, a 1977 model VC Vigilant. We've been pretty happy with it, but it's a little finicky, prefers to always to burn hot, and can't always hold good coals until the morning. We generally run it with loads between 1/2 and full up and cruise at around 500 stove top temps during cold winter days. It does a good job on the one end of our 1800 sq ft house and a pellet stove does the majority of the heating on the other side.

We'd like to dabble with something a little more modern that has a catalytic converter to get longer burns with less constant tinkering. A few Woodstock Fireviews have come up for sale in our region. One Fireview 201 for $750 made in 1994 and I see another that looks newer for $500 but further away. I figure in either case I should at least count on replacing gaskets and possibly the catalyst.

Would a Fireview from the 90's represent a good upgrade for us? We're open to spending more $$ a year or two down the road if an older used option doesn't quite do what we're hoping, but I'd like to at least find a decent upgrade for this winter since we're about to have our first child and will have a lot more going on than in the past.

Thanks.

There are a lot of happy Fireview owners out there. I replaced my old Hearthstone Harvest stove in May with a new Fireview 205. After burning a soapstone stove for 25 years, I wanted to stay with soapstone and there really are not too many options. Thankfully, the Fireview is a great little stove and seems to be well liked by almost everyone. The primary reason people seem to change from the Fireview is when they just need more heat.

The 205 model is the latest Fireview model so I would opt for the newer model assuming it is in good shape. I have read that you can call WS and they will even help you with regard to what you need to look for to evaluate the condition of the stove.

If you search this site for Fireview in the title, and take the time to read these posts, you will see that the Fireview is well liked. Reviews for the stove here are also good. Let us know what you decide.

Where are you, NY? Location is always helpful when determining appropriate sizing of a stove.

Thanks for the feedback HarvestMan. The heat output is a concern of mine since we don't have the tightest house (1906 construction with some modern insulation here and there). Our pellet stove is pretty beefy so it can always help make up any shortcomings, but our stove cannot be on the small side.

It looks like the $500 one on the market is the 205, not the 201 so it's at least from 1996 or newer. Given what I've seen of Woodstock I'd expect them to always be making improvements on their designs so I will definitely consider the newer one before the older.

Would you also consider getting a new stove if $1000 or under? That would get you a 3 cu ft Englander or Drolet steel stove that should match the Vigilant for output, but with lower wood consumption as long as the wood is fully seasoned. At $2K consider the Woodstock Ideal Steel.

begreen, I'm located in Upstate NY. 2 floor, 1800 sq ft house with a fairly compact plan, but not super open. We have some vents open to the upstairs. Insulation is just "ok" and I'm putting a lot of work into sealing up the house better. Like I said, a pellet stove takes care of one side of the house, or more accurately, the two stoves work together to provide fairly even heat.

A new Ideal Steel is essentially my first choice right now. It does seem like a good deal for a new stove with such good efficiency. It's possible we might go that route this season, but we have to see how finances shake out in the next month or so.

A new Ideal Steel is essentially my first choice right now. It does seem like a good deal for a new stove with such good efficiency. It's possible we might go that route this season, but we have to see how finances shake out in the next month or so.
Lot of IS love out there too. Whatever you end up doing, you are obligated to post pictures :). Good luck.

If the IS is over budget I have no problem recommending the Englander 30NC, Drolet Legend or Drolet HT2000 as an alternative as long as the wood is fully seasoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.