woodstock fireview chimney stove pipe noises

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simo33

Oct 28, 2008
eastern ma
I am wondering about an occasional loud clunking noise from my prefab chimney-stovepipe..I am a newbie and have been burning with this stove over a year now..All other noises seem normal i.e. when engaging combustor opening door to load more wood etc..the clunking noise will happen after stove has been burning for awhile..not sure if its when damper is nearly closed or its being caused by low oxygen or burst of air down chimney..any suggestions greatly appreciated..

Prefab chimney stove pipe? Did you install this stove directly to an exsisting prefab fireplace with no liner?

No fireplace involved..prefab chimney through the roof with support box.

Is it a steady clunking noise or just one clunk? Probably the pipe heating up and expanding while in bypass mode, then it cools off and contracts after the cat is engaged?

Its just one clunk, it doesn't happen often, but it can be loud enough to make you wonder what the heck it was..I thought it might be something like you described, new to burning so I am still learning the ropes a bit and just want to make sure all is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.