Woodstock Fireview for 650sq ft room?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyronut

Apr 5, 2011
El paso, TX
Just wondering what the experts think of putting a woodstock fireview in a 650sq ft room. Would this be overkill or would I be able to manage the heat at a lower setting? How much control would I have over the stove of keeping it at a lower heat output? Prices are great on the woodstock stoves right now and they seem to make one of the better stoves on the market. Any insight would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Pyro Nut said:
Just wondering what the experts think of putting a woodstock fireview in a 650sq ft room. Would this be overkill or would I be able to manage the heat at a lower setting? How much control would I have over the stove of keeping it at a lower heat output? Prices are great on the woodstock stoves right now and they seem to make one of the better stoves on the market. Any insight would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Should be fine. I wouldn't worry. On a 'low burn' the stove top will still be quite hot, but the rest of the stove will be at lower temps. High burn and the stove is more uniform in terms of temps.

We have ours in a 600 SF family room. The room is drafty so it never gets hot but the FV heats it nicely and the heat circulates some into the rest of the first floor of the house.

I think you would be fine with the Fireview, you may also want to consider one of the smaller Woodstock's. Woodstock stoves are very controllable and can be turned way down to a low output when needed. Looks like the sale is good til mid April, good time to buy.

I have a fireview heating a 240 sq ft addition on the back of my house. It can heat that room and the rest of the house (additional 800sqft main, 600sqft 2nd floor) through two door sized openings. I can make it too warm in that room but have no problem regulating it so it is comfortable. It does fine down to about 15F then I let the fireview go out and fire up the Progress Hybrid in the main room. Now the new progress hybrid would absolutely roast me out of that 240 sq ft room. I would think a fireview in a 650 sq ft room would not be a problem. If I fire them both up I can have a 85F beach party in the house no matter what the temp outside.

Pyro Nut said:

Good question Pyro. Our Fireview is in a stove room less than half the size of yours and sometimes we do get it a bit warm but that is mostly planned. As BrowningBar stated, if you have the draft dialed down so you have little or no flame, then the stove top will get pretty high but you won't get as much heat from the other parts of the stove. A bit cool? Then just give it a tad more air and all is well as the stove top temperature will usually come down a bit but if you use an IR gun you will see that the sides and front of the stove get hotter.

I think perhaps the biggest point though is the type of heat it is. You no doubt have read or heard that the soapstone stove gives a "soft" heat. I recall before we purchased our stove that I just could not understand that point. After all, heat is heat. However, we very quickly learned that indeed, it is a soft heat and there is a difference. It is a radiant heat vs a convective heat; hence the difference. Objects (furniture, etc.) absorb the heat rather than blowing the heat around as you would with a furnace.

You can move the heat some to other parts of the home and do it very easily by simply using a small desktop fan (not a pedestal fan). Setting a small fan in a hallway or doorway and using the low speed, aim the fan towards the stove room. Cool air will then enter the stove room down low (one good reason for a low speed as you don't want drafts) pushing the higher warmer air out. If our home becomes too cool in the far end we simply set a small fan (Vornado is ours) in the hallway and blow out to the stove room and it is amazing how quickly the rear of the home will warm up. With ceiling fans, you want the air blowing up, not down, in the winter and opposite in the summer.

btw, the Fireview is our only source of heat and we are into our 5th year with it. It is by far the finest stove we've ever owned and also the best looking stove. It is extremely easy to operate and maintain and Woodstock is one of the finest companies we've ever dealt with. Good luck to you.

Backwoods Savage said:
You can move the heat some to other parts of the home
That's what I was wondering; Are you able to move air out of the room or are the Quad and Napoleon heating the other parts of the house? We have the Fireview in a 720 sq.ft. room and there's only a 270 sq.ft. bedroom besides that. The log walls are uninsulated so if it's cold out, overheating isn't a problem. When it's warmer out we burn smaller loads/burn down the coals longer.

Woody, I think your question is aimed at BrowningBar as we have only the Fireview.

Woody Stover said:
Backwoods Savage said:
You can move the heat some to other parts of the home
That's what I was wondering; Are you able to move air out of the room or are the Quad and Napoleon heating the other parts of the house?

Woody,

This room is going to be a stand alone game room that is not connected to the home. So the fireview will only be heating this room. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and thoughts. It has been a great help.

Pyro Nut said:
Pyro Nut,
Some great replies to your question have been posted! I plan on putting the Fireview in a 1,360 SF home. The stove will be pretty much in the center of the floor plan (living room/kitchen dining). House is a ranch on a crawl space. The stove area is only around 460 SF. Everything that I have read so far tells me that it should work just fine.
Tim

This room is going to be a stand alone game room that is not connected to the home. So the fireview will only be heating this room. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and thoughts. It has been a great help.

Hmmm. That changes things a bit from my perspective. If it is well insulated, you aren't going to need a lot of heat. The Fireview would still work fine for you, but you could easily get away with the Keystone. One thing to consider is how you will use the room. IMO, if you are only going to use it occasionally (say just for a couple hours in the evening, or just spontaneously), you may want to consider that soapstone takes a bit longer to warm up than steel or cast iron. Granted, it's not a huge difference, but in certain circumstances it might not be ideal. If the room will see pretty constant use or you are able to plan a bit ahead of when you want it warm, then I think soapstone would be an excellent choice in that space.

Tomorrow I am going to pull the trigger and call the folks at Woodstock and order the metallic brown Fireview. It seems to have a great track record and the customer service seems to be top notch.
To be honest I think I have to blame Dennis for this. :) LOL

Pyro, that is the same color as our stove, although I still say it is more gray than brown. Actually, I was surprised when they told us it was the metallic brown. lol It certainly is the color we wanted and we're not sorry. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.