Woodstock Fireview for Leaky House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is the nice thing about these kits, the shrink plastic is pretty clear. I left them up for a few years on windows that didn't open. This is where the 3M tape helps.

Yes, that is the nice thing about these kits, the shrink plastic is pretty clear. I left them up for a few years on windows that didn't open. This is where the 3M tape helps.

I used the shrink plastic on my last house, it really made a difference with drafts. Have you ever tried putting up a layer of bubble wrap over the windows then applying the shrink plastic over it? I read about it online somewhere, seems to make sense to me. Adds another layer of insulation I guess. If I do shrink plastic, bubble wrap, and insulating curtains I'm hoping my house will feel a little less like a medieval castle.

Reactions: rideau
I bubble wrapped and it worked great. I was going to use green as to trick my inner senses that it was perpetually springtime. But my girlfriend intervened and nixed that idea big time.

I bubble wrapped and it worked great. I was going to use green as to trick my inner senses that it was perpetually springtime. But my girlfriend intervened and nixed that idea big time.

Did you happen to take some IR readings with and without the bubble wrap? I was thinking about letting the kids color the individual bubbles before/after putting up the wrap. It will be real cheap stained glass windows.

That sounds like a very small stove for your house. I'd go with the IS. I currently have the PH in a 2,400 sq. ft. house and it is great. I think you would be very pleased with the IS.

Status
Not open for further replies.