Woodstock Fireview for sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I have an opportunity to purchase a used Woodstock Fireview stove. It's a 1992 model, so has seen some miles. I saw it in person and it looks pretty good, except for general dirt and some rust on the cast iron. (I think that could be cleaned and painted pretty easily). Anyways, it differs from a new unit in that the draft control is on the side of the unit where the side door is. There is a slide control that allows air entry right through the loading door. (not sure how safe that is, in case an errant spark would shoot out of the stove). In any case, it is a catalytic unit and otherwise looks much like the new units.

Is anyone familiar with these units? Are they as efficient as the new ones? What would be a good price for something that's 17 years old?

From what Ive heard the older Fireviews are pretty much like the current Classic stove with a glass front. I'd say they are a little less efficient than the new ones, but still EPA certified. Also heard the air wash over the glass isn't so good, so the glass may dirty up some. As far as cost I'd offer $500 if it's in good shape and the cat still has life left.

We purchased our Woodstock Fireview in late 1991, for the whopping price of $1500, which was nearly twice the price of the ivory enamel Vermont Castings I liked. We have replaced the catalytic combustor 3 times in nearly 18 yrs.. I have touched up the iron once (about 10 yrs. ago?) and have never done anything about the accumulation of scratches on the top pcs. of soapstone (maybe this year?).

We have done nothing else to the stove except fire it up and enjoy it. You have nothing to fear from the sliding control on the door, either. In the years we've owned our Fireview never once has a spark shot forthe from it. It's simple to operate and we've never been close to over firing our's. the key to success with cat. stoves is: don't burn junk in it! it's a wood stove not a disposal unit.

I have no idea what a fair price might be for a used Fireview, except taking advantage of the present sale at Woodstock and then capitalizing on the tax credit for efficient stoves puts a new model in the $1500 range if you read what others here have posted. Snoop around, and put the cash you're willing to spend in your pocket... dead Presidents speak in clear, ringing tones in this economic climate.

It's a really nice stove and when we decided to add another stove to the studio we went straight back to the Woodstock Soapstone Co.. Great stoves, excellent value, and unparalleled customer service. We bought a Classic last year and never considered another brand of stove.

I looked at 2 older fireviews. Neither had any airwash over the front window and the windows were very black. The last one I looked at was a basically a soapstone box with a rear exit. It didn't have any of the catalytic "guts" in it.

So pop the top open and have a look. The nice thing about woodstock is that the replacement parts are surprisingly cheap and available.

Interesting that two of the posts here mention that the glass didn't stay very clean on these older units. This unit's glass was black when I saw it today. That was a little bothersome, but I figured the guy had been running low fires the last time it was used (It wasn't in use when I saw it). In light of what you've written, I'm guessing it's a normal occurrence with less than hot fires. That's a problem for me, as I like to see what's happening in the firebox.

I think I'm taking a pass on this stove. But, it's the first Fireview I've seen in person and it really is a great looking stove. It reinforces my intent to buy one. I'll take advantage of the current sale.

Thanks all!

No trouble here with the glass remaining clear. I've NEVER cleaned it. I believe that's due to burning good fuel, when a fire is first started it may smoke up, but one the fire is rolling along nicely it cleans itself in no time flat.

jdinspector, methinks you are making a wise decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.