Woodstock Fireview Gasket change - Anyone with experience???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cstrail

Oct 7, 2007
Central Illinois
Hi All,

My Fireview 205 is going on its 7th year and I am getting ready to do a complete gasket change. I needed one in the top lid and they are so cheap I just decided to do them all. I was wondering if anyone had changed them on this particular stove if you had any tips or whatever. I know it should be pretty straight forward, but thought I would ask. Especially for the glass gasket. Anyway, let me know your tips.... I also ordered a new combustor. Mine is starting to crack and get brittle. I am hoping I will see some kind of improvement (although it is not doing bad now!!!!)

THIS STOVE IS GREAT. I heat my whole house with it alone all winter long.

I've done the top lid and door gaskets. Nothing to it, just scrape it out with a screwdriver, lay a bead of gasket cement and lay the rope down. Do not stretch or bunch up the gaskets, just lay it in as is. The glass gasket looks like it could be a pain, i'm sure Woodstock has instructions for that. Let us know how it goes.

Got all the gaskets done now Todd.

It took about a good 4 hours including cleanup of tools and stuff to do the complete stove. That also included cleaning the ash out real good in the firebox and resealing all joints with furnace cement. The hardest gasket was the "air duct" which is under the top lid. It is the one that has a TON of dried up furnace cement. That one took about 45 minutes to clean out. Then you have to fill it with cement (not glue) and then put the gasket in. The glass one wasn't near as bad as I thought. The bypass door was easy (just take 2 bolts out and swing it forward out of the way) and the combusor gasket was easy.

Now I have to wait since I did the air duct gasket. The directions that came with it says you have to wait for 72 hours for the cement to cure....so no fire until Friday. I cannot wait to try this out. I bought this stove used and used it like it was until this year. It has always worked great but now that got new gaskets on I can tell how bad ALL the old ones were. They were literally flat and "dust"...they just fell out. I think this is going to make a BIG difference for this year. I also replaced the combustor.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.