woodstock fireview install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

no stove yet

Feb 26, 2011
new haven county ct
Hi all
After much looking around at woodstoves and daily lurking the hearth forums this newb has decided on a fireview,now being a newb and
knowing not much about the install of the stove, chimney etc just want to make sure I am on the right path.

My house is a 1,400 sq.ft. ranch built in 58 newer windows,doors,attic insulated,walls whatever was done in 58,guess not much.

The fireview will go in front of our current fireplace in the living room,the chimney is exterior with clay liner in good shape.

1.The liner is 7"by11" woodstock says may be alittle tight for insulated liner,I ran a 7" dowel on a pole up the liner and it squeaks by at least as far
as I could reach.Woodstock also said I could use perlite if insulated liner a no go,what opinions do you folks have.Ok to go uninsulated?.

2.How much clearance do you need to operate the controls,I figured going 10" from the fireplace opening but if I can go closer and save some floorspace
that makes the wife happy.

3.For Todd if you happen by and dont mind.I remember reading you had a fireview and then changed to a keystone any particular reason , I do like
the looks of the keystone just thought the bigger fireview may be better for me but could be talked into a keystone easy enough

A big thanks to all of you who are always posting away,learn alot and makes it all seem doable for us soon to be woodburners.

Woodstock stoves are great. You'll be happy with it.

Regarding the insulation, we insulate every liner we install for a wood stove to satisfy what we see has a code requirement. If the insulation doesn't fit, we break and remove the flue tile. Pouring pearlite into a tight fitting liner will functionally make a difference, but will not satisfy the required 1 inch minimum thickness requirement for code. FWIW. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

You will need some clearance to the stove to operate the controls and open the side door, so you'll probably want the stove sitting out a bit.

Enjoy the stove. Woodstock stoves are some of my favorites!

no stove yet said:
Hi all
After much looking around at woodstoves and daily lurking the hearth forums this newb has decided on a fireview,now being a newb and
knowing not much about the install of the stove, chimney etc just want to make sure I am on the right path.

My house is a 1,400 sq.ft. ranch built in 58 newer windows,doors,attic insulated,walls whatever was done in 58,guess not much.

The fireview will go in front of our current fireplace in the living room,the chimney is exterior with clay liner in good shape.

1.The liner is 7"by11" woodstock says may be alittle tight for insulated liner,I ran a 7" dowel on a pole up the liner and it squeaks by at least as far
as I could reach.Woodstock also said I could use perlite if insulated liner a no go,what opinions do you folks have.Ok to go uninsulated?.

2.How much clearance do you need to operate the controls,I figured going 10" from the fireplace opening but if I can go closer and save some floorspace
that makes the wife happy.

3.For Todd if you happen by and dont mind.I remember reading you had a fireview and then changed to a keystone any particular reason , I do like
the looks of the keystone just thought the bigger fireview may be better for me but could be talked into a keystone easy enough

A big thanks to all of you who are always posting away,learn alot and makes it all seem doable for us soon to be woodburners.

I think you will be very happy with the Fireview. My view is that if your house is not very well insulated - like my house, the Keystone may be a little light on the coldest of days - but others are easily heating more sq-ft than that with their Keystone.

I feel an insulated liner is very important. Firstly, it helps keep the liner warm, improving draft and secondly, it is a safety measure to keep adjustant material from getting hot enough in the event of a flue fire to catch fire. Were I you, I'd have the tile in the chimney knocked out to make room for a full wrap of 1/2 inch insulation on your liner.

Your clearance is driven by the distance to combustables. The Woodstock manuals are pretty clear on these distances and can be downloaded (along with a ton of other info) for some good reading, but the damper controls are close to the stove and 10 inches should be plenty of distance to get your hands on them.

I bought my Keystone because I wanted top vent so I could have the stove closer to the wall. The Fireview is rear vent only and to go vertical, that would have pushed the stove out farther in our living room. It turns out that when I relined my chimney, I had a hole cut in the chimney and ran the stove pipe straight out the back of the stove into the chimney so the horizontal vent option worked out great too. In choosing the Keystone, I also wanted a nice view of the fire - which the Keystone has a wonderful view and overall look. I also wanted an ash pan and it is a great ash pan design.

I'm sure Todd will chime in, but I think he liked the look of the Keystone better than his Fireview, liked the fire view of the better with the Keystone and the ash pan over the Fireview. In his situation, he had both a fireview and keystone to burn at the same time.

One thing for sure is that the Fireview is one of the best stoves of all time. If there were a stove hall of fame, the fireview would be in it! The other thing you can count on is that Woodstock makes a super quality stove and does a great job backing up their product.

Good luck,
Bill

I have an outside chimney with two flues, one is 6x10 and the other is 12x12. I had a hard time getting a 6" liner down the smaller flue, ended up going with a 5.5" liner and stuffed insulation around it in the top couple feet and it drafted fine but noticed after relining the other larger flue with a 6" along with perlite that fully insulated liners make a difference especially with cold outside chimneys. Now that I'm rebuilding my chimney I tore that 5.5" out and I'm going to knock out the flue tiles and have a 6" Supaflue poured in that flue. You may have enough room in yours to wrap a 5.5" liner but I would look into breaking out the old tiles and get it done right.

As far as the stoves go I think they are pretty close in heat output. 55,000 to 45,000 max BTU's difference but you won't be burning that hot anyways. Most stoves are burned in the low to medium range and these two stoves will deliver the same low even heat output. The Fireview is a tad larger and gives you a little longer burns because it holds about 1 more stick of wood in the fire box.

The Keystone looks much better imo along with the ash pan and larger glass. I figured I could get away with 2 Keystones, one on each floor heating 1000 sq ft each. Most average Winter days the basement Keystone heats the whole house but when it gets windy and colder I burn both. If you like the Keystone better go ahead and get it, I don't think you would have any problem heating 1400 sq ft unless you live in a sieve. Woodstocks stats are pretty conservative and if it doesn't work out you can return it for the Fireview since they have that 6 month return policy.

Be carefull figuring out that 10" clearance. If you stick it into the fireplace that far the controls may be hard to get at since they are in the back. You also have to have side clearance because the door swings out 10".

I had some of the same concerns on clearance. Take a look on the website at the customer installs, that really helped me feel comfortable with the Fireview, mine's not in yet but will be soon.

fv

If your flue is a straight shot up, there is a 6 inch simpson duraliner (rigid pipe) that is insulated for zero clearance. I think is 6 and 5/8" O.D. Probably cost a little more than flex though. Most of what I have read about it on here is positive comments. The fireview would be my choice if I had the right place to put one. Good luck,
Kevin

For the draft control, it is about even with the rear of the flue outlet. The bypass is a bit closer to the stove.

You will love this stove! Congratulations.

Thanks to all for the responses

Some deciding to do for sure,wish I could visit woodstocks factory as I am not that far away and look at both the keystone and fireview in person,
but 7-day weeks means I miss the sale if I wait for a day off.

I'll check into that simpson pipe,if I do decide to try and go insulated flex liner and I need to break out the clay liner how tough will that be?.I took another
look up the flue fairly straight shot top to bottom no snags that I could see,anyone have luck putting an insulated liner into a 7" opening?

I had planned on a self install even though not super handy but may need a pro if things get complicated,anyone know any installers in southern Ct if I
need to go that route.So far the few sweeps I have spoken with don't install and I don't know if the stove shops around me would want to install a stove they
don't sell.

Thanks again suppose it will all come together eventually.

no stove yet said:
Thanks to all for the responses

Some deciding to do for sure,wish I could visit woodstocks factory as I am not that far away and look at both the keystone and fireview in person,
but 7-day weeks means I miss the sale if I wait for a day off.

Woodstock always has a sale going on. The Sring sale turns into a Summer sale and Summer sale turns into a Fall sale and so on. In the 6 years I've owned a Woodstock I've never seen them sell at full list price. Sounds like you could use a day off and take a road trip.

Oh, I almost forgot I think you could put down a $200 refundable deposit to get the current sale, then plan a trip for later this Summer to go pick it up or cancel if you decide you don't like the stove.

I've noticed the same quarterly pattern, but it seems like their very best deals + cheapest shipping have been in the spring. "Reserving" a stove with a deposit involves no risk(100% refundable) and may save you ~ $100 over next quarter's deal. For a super sweet deal, you may want to inquire about the availability of a refurb. Also, in case you haven't heard, the new Wunderstove is due this summer. I would want to see it before buying another Woodstock at this time. It may be too big for your house, but maybe not.

Todd said:
Oh, I almost forgot I think you could put down a $200 refundable deposit to get the current sale, then plan a trip for later this Summer to go pick it up or cancel if you decide you don't like the stove.

That's what we did.

Oh yeah, I bought a refurb Keystone for $1700 including shipping. Looks like a brand new stove but you don't get the 6 month return warranty.

Right now it's free shipping through June 17 that's one reason we ordered ours now. Saved us $130.

fv

You guys are all great but your killin me, I am indecisive enough as it is let alone you guys giving me more options on when to buy,pick it up etc.
I am kidding of course and you all will never know how helpful you are,it was my stumbling upon this forum somehow that got me going on woodstoves
and then after lurking for a while it was the friendly and helpful attitude of you all that got me to thinkin a non stover like me could make all this happen.

So now I just need to pull the trigger if I can stop dithering and obsessing about it and just order the damn stove and worry about the install as it goes.

Have no fear I'll be along shortly to pester you all for more help.

Thanks Scott

Hey we also might bug you about attending a party at Woodstock. They usually have one in the summer; probably August. Last year it was in September so we finally had a chance to go and we were very happy that we did go. We had a grand time and got to meet and talk to lots of folks there at Woodstock. A huge bonus was that we also got to meet several of the fine folks that post here on hearth.com and that was fantastic. So we hope you can make it to one of their parties. You very well may have lots of questions to ask and you can talk directly with any of the builders!

Status
Not open for further replies.